XS650 kick start lever hitting exhaust pipe

ducguy

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
83CC5700-6E11-4825-B8D8-AEDFF6C2488B.png
Just purchased a 79 XS650 street tracker. The previous owner installed the exhaust system wrong and now the kick start lever hits the exhaust pipe on the down stroke. Bike has the stock lever on it. Is there another make, model, lever that I could try so it doesn’t hit the pipe. I have seen pics of other trackers with different shaped levers. Looking for a simple way to fix this issue. Exhaust is a 2 into 2 lower that has the silencers welded to the header pipes. I don’t think I can adjust the exhaust pipes.

That is one seriously rippin' lookin' clean machine you got there, duc! :rock:
Horseheads? I worked there, years ago, and have in-law relatives in Pine City! I'm north of Syracuse now.
You may have to determine where/how bad the start lever interference is, and try the old "hit it with a torch 'til it's hot enough to bend it so it doesn't hit the exhaust anymore" trick. As a wise man once said to me: "...nothing was ever made that couldn't be modified..." :twocents:

I have a TT500 Kickstarter I purchased because I was hoping it would clear my mid set brake toe peg. It was so close to fixing my issue, but I was recommended it when someone said they bought it because their stock kicker didn't clear their exhaust. It does have a bend that would probably work if you are barely hitting your pipes.

#230 on this link of my build thread
http://www.xs650.com/threads/bushyboys-build-thread.53541/page-12

Attachments

• A212DAC9-6BA3-4A39-8EC3-20CC73EFDEF9.jpeg
    A212DAC9-6BA3-4A39-8EC3-20CC73EFDEF9.jpeg
    172 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
Last edited:
Ducguy---Nice looking ride you have there. As suggested a bit of heat and bend. I worked for a Modified racer up your way a hundred years ago, George Kent, great guy.
tim

Back