xs650 morris magneto

aaroffee

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey I'm new i have a 71' xs650 bikes been sweet done some mods rode about 1000's ams haven't had many issues til today i washed my bike, had it running and rode in back into the shed after then a few hours later went to ride to a friends rode 4-5s then bam bike stopped I've checked for fuel, has comp also, but not getting spark i live on a big hill and have tried roll starting it a bunch of times kicking it for a few hours nothing, it usually starts first or second kick, I've also pull the pull out and kicked it over and no spark by the looks of it whats my next option????

thanks

Process of elimination. One thing at a time.

Check fuse. If broken replace.

Battery connections

Check Battery. If low then recharge fully overnight, rest for an hour then test voltage and if above 12 volts, (12.7 is good), try again. If battery is below 12 volts a new battery.

If these things are good then the check wiring or coils.

By the way welcome, and use "google search", "Tech menu" all the information has been discussed before and a search may be quicker than waiting for an answer.

A good description of the bike and what has been done to it will help others help you quicker and easier.

Pics are better still.

as far as I'm aware the morris is a complete separate system from the wiring battery etc, but yeah the battery is fine and i have one fuse on the bike it is also fine.

okay cool, the unit is pretty foreign to me so i might call a shop tomorrow as i don't know how to set the timing on the damn thing!

so with the help my my uncle i realised the shaft was not spinning so we pulled the unit out to find that the shaft had been repaired before and snapped, i pulled it out and rewelded it up.

put it all back together but can't seem to get the timing correct, i got it running for 5 seconds with the chokes on but then flicked them off and it stalled, now I'm not getting any spark i put some new spark plugs in it today and still nothing any ideas? going to the tuner tomorrow but and help getting it closer to running would save me some money!

12231319_10205224164619421_1594877507_n.jpg

Wow, that's much worse than moisture invasion.

I had a Bendix mag go bad on me. Points mount chafed on the body, lost grounding.
But, the Bendix has impulse coupling, special internal timing setups.

I don't think the Morris has that, should be easier.
As much as you've been into it, you and your uncle are likely the forum experts here now...

so couldn't get my bike to the tuner today, will go in the morning.

I've got spark again silly mistake on my behave, one of the springs behind the cap was pushed to the side and not creating a good connection, i changed which lead went to which but didn't get any spark from either but then decided to pull it off and expect it closer inside revealing it, so if it all goes well will be running better then ever tomorrow!

update! casing behind the magneto decided to snap during the week, causing me to ride with one hand holding the mag as straight as i could so could make it home made it to my driveway and the shaft decided it had had enough and snapped at both ends this time, hex ends still lodged in the mag actually.

my question is this mag has caused me a lot of issues in the month or so I've had the bike, should i bin it and go a boyer system? does anyone use a mag on here?
i mean I'm probably about to spend a few hundred on making a new one piece shaft and a new casing etc I'm thinking this will be the last time i spend money and time on it.

what would you do???

12319286_10205285479592257_742928787_n.jpg

12309025_10205285479632258_227758541_n.jpg

The cam endcover in the first pic isn't too hard to find, and not expensive.

Some of us have machine tooling and lathes, and (being thrifty types) would probably make the needed parts. That, and having magneto experience, puts me in the stubborn 'fixit myself' catagory.

Without that, you're looking at an expensive magneto, with possibly expensive parts.

Could contact Morris, see about repair cost.

http://morrismagneto.com/parts

yeah i have another cover here, going to drop the shaft at a shop tomorrow and get another one made up, but my question is how long til it breaks again its a lot of weight put onto that cover, I'm in the fix it myself category also, but i tools to make a new shaft so a shop will do that, but I'm just concerned that it'll break again when I'm off riding km's away from home. maybe I've just had some bad luck with it and this time i will last and be reliable, realistically thats what I'm after a reliable bike but will i ever achieve this with the mag setup??

I'm digging into a old M-F Mag on a chopper, but that would hardly give me much to work on helping you with a more modern version, on a different engine.

that said if it broke, I would pony up the bills for replacement of faulty parts.

Could be that the shaft ran a bit eccentric, out-of-true. That's a DTI (dial test indicator) and lathe kinda thing.

The slight eccentricity would induce vibration and strains, possibly leading to your issue.

There's also the shaft's ability to handle torsional variations in angular velocity, including the fitted ends.
Too hard or brittle at the weld and it could crack.

Last edited:
yeah i think ill give the mag one more shot, i was think thing that too i thought i had the shaft dead straight when i repaired it but i may not have but ohwell.

I'm just leaning towards the unit being to heavy for the backing plate it bolts too, it would be pushing 3-4 lbs i think...

anyway starting making a seat pan up for a king and queen today care fore a pic?

Back