XS650 No Theme Build

Air filters are too close to the mono shock and the fuel lines and throttle cables will come close to the side bars. Problems not found with a stock frame. I`ll use VM34`s.

Hard decision between raking leaves and building the TT pipes. Pipes won out! Easy, only 2 seams to weld but I`m on the fence again about using these.:umm::shrug:
TT Pipes 006-001.JPG TT Pipes 008.JPG TT Pipes 005-001.JPG TT Pipes 003-001.JPG TT Pipes 001-001.JPG TT Pipes 009.JPG TT Pipes 011.JPG TT Pipes 012.JPG :shrug:

Those look like Shell TT pipes...great job!
...Hey Phil, see how nice your painted engine is starting to look. :)

You probably know this but I only found out about this trick for straight through pipes a few years ago so it might be of some benefit to you.

If you are worried about the sound (noise) from straight through pipes cut a 6mm wide slot about 120mm long on the underside of each pipe. The slot ends about 20mm from the outlet.

The sound is not as harsh.

Thanks Guys.
Tom your right. I wasn`t sure about the painted cyls & head but the more parts I put back on it the better it looks.
Thanks Signal for the tip. I was unaware of this. I was considering a small baffle if I use these pipes. After 30+ years of drag racing and daily air tool use straight through exhaust just don`t seem that loud. Besides the cops here in Shitburg (Topeka) think a excessive noise violation is a stereo that`s too loud. Just as it should be!:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Is that a flat bar? Concerned about buckling?

In the stock configuration, under hard use, the rear brake can see up to several hundred ft-lbs of braking torque, which is resolved thru the brake stay, at a shorter torque arm, resulting in upwards of about a thousand pounds of force in the brake stay...

Thanks 2M. I did think about that when I was making it. T-6 aluminium. So I prepped the stock tubular brake stay to go to the chrome shop with the other parts.. Given my age and physical cond. I`ll be lucky to even get my leg over the seat and go for a ride. Aside from a emergency stop situation, Hard Use probably won`t happen anymore for me.:shrug:

The chrome should be done tomorrow. Meanwhile I`ve gotten sidetracked with disassembling these two parts bikes I picked up yesterday. I really didn`t need or want them but the price was right and they were close to me. At least both motors turn over free and have compression. Looks like I`ll have a lot more stuff for sale!:thumbsup:
bike tear down 001.JPG bike tear down 002.JPG bike tear down 003.JPG bike tear down 004.JPG bike tear down 005.JPG

Nice! I smell a new project coming up! Man your credit card is still smoking from the last one! Haha! :laugh2:
As always, I’ll be watching!

Back