XS650 No Theme Build

Hi Gary. Sorry I missed you and lunch too. I should have just jumped into the truck and drove to KC. The chrome that was raw steel was finished, the parts that had to be electro stripped were not. Told them I`d just pick it all up on Mon. This will be 11 days since I dropped it off. I`ve never waited this long for chrome in my life. The Holiday`s have thrown a wrench in the works!:(

Picked all the chrome up today. Very pleased!:thumbsup: The Brake, shift, and kickstart levers and exhaust flanges all had to be stripped. They came out excellent.
chrome stuff 001.JPG chrome stuff 002.JPG chrome stuff 003.JPG chrome stuff 004.JPG chrome stuff 005.JPG chrome stuff 006.JPG chrome stuff 007.JPG chrome stuff 008.JPG

Pretty sure it`s Hexavalent. Just old school plating.
Today I fitted new rubber covers on the start lever, shifter and kick stand and got the motor mounted and other chromed stuff too. Polish and rebuild calipers next. Then new carbs and all the electronics.:yikes: I wasn`t sure about the TT pipes at first but now my only concern is that they might not be loud enough!:shrug:
New Chrome 001.JPG New Chrome 002.JPG New Chrome 003.JPG New Chrome 004.JPG New Chrome 005.JPG New Chrome 006.JPG New Chrome 007.JPG New Chrome 008.JPG New Chrome 009.JPG New Chrome 010.JPG New Chrome 011.JPG New Chrome 012.JPG New Chrome 013.JPG New Chrome 014.JPG New Chrome 015.JPG New Chrome 016.JPG

Pretty sure it`s Hexavalent. Just old school plating.
Today I fitted new rubber covers on the start lever, shifter and kick stand and got the motor mounted and other chromed stuff too. Polish and rebuild calipers next. Then new carbs and all the electronics.:yikes: I wasn`t sure about the TT pipes at first but now my only concern is that they might not be loud enough!:shrug:
View attachment 132649 View attachment 132650 View attachment 132651 View attachment 132652 View attachment 132653 View attachment 132654 View attachment 132655 View attachment 132656 View attachment 132657 View attachment 132658 View attachment 132659 View attachment 132660 View attachment 132661 View attachment 132662 View attachment 132663 View attachment 132664

Hi halfmile,
"dripping with chrome" eh? My old friend Stan had his Triumph Thunderbird's frame chromed and lamented that you couldn't chrome tires.
About the pipes:- the closest I ever came to owning a Vincent was reading an owner's manual.
What it said about prepping a Black Shadow for the track was, take the lights off and replace the muffler with a straight pipe of the same length.
Your pipes are too short. Extend 'em aft so they end up where the stock mufflers used to be. More chrome is a good thing.

Thanks Jim. After you left yesterday I went to work on this little "decorative" oil cooler? It`s a good thing I`ve got a lathe. .005 off the side of the mounting base and it fits the case. :thumbsup:
oil cooler 001.JPG oil cooler 002.JPG oil cooler 003.JPG

I found this NOS fork brace on eBait. Universal type, fits many different models. Except the XS650.:( So it`s weld up the holes, re drill in the right place, and re polish. I do like this type of fork brace and the price is less than half the modern clamp on style.:thumbsup:
p.jpg
fork brace 001.JPG fork brace 002.JPG fork brace 003.JPG fork brace 005.JPG fork brace 006.JPG fork brace 007.JPG

I like that! I remember those from way back. It kinda looks like a heavier version of the brace that’s built into a standard front fender. Did you do your own heli arc? Nice work! :thumbsup:

Thanks Mailman. I do have a TIG but it`s out of gas so a friend welded this up for me this morning.

Thanks David. It`s always great to meet other XS650 riders. Good luck with your build. Looks like your off to a great start.:thumbsup:

Thanks rehar. It`s not a coincidence that I`ve said the same exact words about your build too.:thumbsup:

Back