XS650 project possibility

sartoriusrock

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have a 1982 xs650 heratige special. I have enjoyed the motorcycle overall, but i think i would like a more streetfighter sort of style. If I wanted to have custom work done on my motorcycle to make it a streetfighter, how would this compare to just selling the bike and saving for a purpose-designed streetfighter, such as the Yamaha FZ8? Factors to consider- cost, reliability of customizers, time

Unless you do most/all of the work yourself, and seriously, unless you really enjoy doing most/all of the work yourself, I doubt you could ever win on the factors of "cost, reliability of customizers, time", compared to buying something ready-made or closer-to-ready-made.
Do you really want a 30-yr-old custom, or do you really want a modern streetfighter? I think either choice is perfectly legitimate, but if you want to have both in one bike, you may be heading down a long hard road, where considerations of "cost" and "time" can easily get pushed out the window.

If you want a streetfighter - buy an old 1200 Suzi Bandit & play with that instead...cheap & indestructible + plenty of costom s/fighter parts from europe for them. IMO....

The very simple reality is that anything is possible with cash and knowledge. If you are short on one, the other will have to make up for it significantly. Although I build, ride, own predominantly XS bikes, I have a customer who has commissioned a Honda Nighthawk 450 street legal dirt tracker. As he is longer on cash than knowledge, I've been tapped for the rough build and he is planning on doing paint and final assembly. Extensive modification and fabrication would be to state mildly. He just wants something completely different from the norm (and apparently what the manufacturer intended).

Determine your mechanical comfort level and then determine what you will need help with. Hit the scene and ask around about your local builders. Talk to a few of them about what you want and see who seems in tune to what you want and is willing to work with you to make it feasible for you level, budget, and resources.

It is your bike, make it yours. Part of the joy in starting a custom project is seeing what you end up with. And let's face it, who wants a bike that looks like everyone else's?

Here is a pic of my so called "Street Fighter" project. I got the bike free and i'd be lucky if I had $650 into it. Doing all the fab work myself and taking things nice and slow.

photo-91.jpg

Check my build thread here

If I were to build a street fighter, or something of that nature, I would buy a modern one and be done with it. The R&D these companies put into these modern bikes is what I would want/trust. Once you start changing the geometry of these bikes, or any bike, from what the company designed it for, can be bad. Unless you really know what you are doing. Wheelbase, trail, travel, center of gravity, ect needs to be spot on to get the performance out of it. Unless you just want it to look good and not perform. It can be done, but I would never attempt it myself. Nor do I have the funds to pay someone.
I know a couple guys that have totally custom racers made from old bikes, but all that's left is the engine. The rest is all new, lol. All that money they spent and my stock '82 handles better.

You could say the same about anybody who hardtails an XS. Everything changes. But we're having fun building, I'm pretty sure it will be fun to drive. I'm not racing, taking this to the track, popping wheelies, only cruising for fun. My build, my way. I guess that is all that matters.

Where did I say anything about your bike? I have a hardtail, a stock and a bobber thing. And yes, it's your bike, do as you want. I was stating my opinion to the poster about his question of modifying his bike or buying a FZ8, nowhere did I say anything about your build.

I agree with what these guys are saying. Pick up something a lil newer with a whole lot more power for a streetfighter. Nothing against the XS.

I've ridden a FZ8. It is, as you say, "...a purpose-designed streetfighter". It is a very nice bike and very resonably priced for what you get. Only thing I didn't like was it was a bit too tall for me, but it shit-ngits. Really nice to ride.

We're in the Age of Specialization right up to the ears, gentlemen. The idea of a "purpose-designed streetfighter" has my poor old brain all twisted up--don't know whether to laugh, scream, or puke. Not so very long ago a "streetfighter" was a sport bike with the plastic and all inessentials stripped off, frame and swingarm pucks added, and "class" shown by close attention to everything that has to work, a casual attitude toward cosmetics, and gear with scuffs on knee and toe pucks. No more, alas--we have a "style" going.

Back