XS650 Scrambler Build

halfmile

XS Builder
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
First let me say "Thanks" for all the great inspiration and information this forum has given me on each of my builds.
This build starts with a 1979 XS650 Special. I began gathering parts in 2016 and have done what I consider minor steps in the build. The build was for the most part on hold last year while I updated a Resto-Mod XS. Here are some random up to date pics of the work so far.
frames 001.JPG frames 005.JPG frames 007.JPG frames 006.JPG xs today 006.JPG xs today 007.JPG scrambler build 001.JPG scrambler build 003.JPG scrambler build 007.JPG scrambler build 002.JPG scrambler build 004.JPG scrambler build 001.JPG scrambler build 003.JPG scrambler build 005.JPG scrambler build 002.JPG scrambler build 007.JPG scrambler build 003.JPG scrambler 002.JPG scrambler 012.JPG front fender 001.JPG front fender 004.JPG front fender 005.JPG sweetie puss skid plate 013.JPG sweetie puss skid plate 012.JPG pipes 001.JPG pipes 002.JPG pipes 006.JPG exh clamps 003.JPG exh clamps 002.JPG Heat Shield 006.JPG Heat Shield 005.JPG

Last edited:
Love your attention to detail. Will be following this one for sure.

Awright Phil!!! Now we got sumpin' to follow.
Lookin good! Too bad ya can't find a nice little DT tank for it....:rolleyes:

Thanks Jim. Now I can quit cluttering up the "What have you done to your XS today" thread. Now that you mention it I do have a DT Tank but I`m saving it for a friend of mine in Kansas City.:)

Phil,
It's great that you put together your own build thread, it's nice to be able to follow the progress as a whole.

In no particular order,
Your welds are beautiful!
I love the bracing to the frame that you've done. The braces themselves are works of art, so is the skid plate.
That triple tree is great, did you polish that yourself?
And your work is SO tidy! Really well done!
As you were....carry on!

Today I put the front end and swingarm assy back on to make the rear brake stay and drew up the templates for the steering damper and fork stops. Put the tank & seat on just to take a look. It`s somewhat starting to resemble a scrambler but the back half is naked without the seat grab rail and rear fender-tail light assy. Now that I put the wheels etc back on there`s a shit load of stuff to do!! It`s 11 degrees outside ( 53 yesterday) so I`ll be in the warm basement working on this all next week. :(
snow day 002.JPG snow day 001.JPG snow day 003.JPG

I have to ask...what is that front wheel? Looks like an old Yamaha enduro hub, maybe a 360.
Your scrambler is lookin' good, Phil

Thanks. The front hub is a Bultaco Astro-Pursang unit.

Thanks, Phil...now I have lost my 'integrity' as, well you know :banghead:

Thanks Porge1. The pipes took a couple of hrs. I used 42mm tubing so the stock flanges could be used and still slip over the welds and around bends.
My work week has gone to Hell in a hand basket! 3 days into the week and so far all I`ve done is drill 2--17/64 holes in the pipes for the Snuff-or-Not`s.:shrug:
snuff or not 001-001.JPG snuff or not 002.JPG

Back