XS650 Scrambler Build

Those would work great if they were electrically operated........:laugh:

Today I made some pads for the fork stops. Have to know the total travel of the forks to set the steering damper bracket. Also made 2 more exhaust clamps and shortened the template for the heat shield. If it looks too cluttered I`ll just wright it off as a learning experience. :shrug:
stuff 001.JPG stuff 002.JPG stuff 003.JPG stuff 004.JPG

I haven`t touched the project since Feb 8. (winter chest cold). Today I made a couple of brackets for the steering damper mounts and polished the fork stop pads. Not much to show for a week of down time. Next week should be more productive I hope.
damper bracket 001.JPG damper bracket 005.JPG damper bracket 006.JPG damper bracket 009.JPG

Lookin' good!
Chest colds suck... glad you're gettin' back up to speed.

Yes. I think that`s all I`ve got. Everything else is too soft. I`m not going to do the welding on this one. Too thin for me.

Transferred the pattern to aluminium and cut it out. Stop holes drilled and marked to bend. Also finished up the new shorter skid plate and made a little cross bar because it was easier than cutting off the saddle mounts from the frame. Shooting for a Mar 1st powder coat date.
pattern 001.JPG pattern 002.JPG pattern 003.JPG cross bar 001.JPG cross bar 002.JPG

Today I bent up the under seat tray. I sure wish I had a Box-Pan Brake. Seems to fit OK. I`ll tack the corners together then give it the final tweak before welding it up inside and out.
under seat tray 001.JPG under seat tray 002.JPG under seat tray 003.JPG

I am curious on your thoughts of mounting a rear fender. I too lopped off the factory mounting brackets when cleaning up the frame and am somewhat regretting that now. It's one of the things on my punch list that I have put little thought into resolving. I have not seen very many options that interest me so far, but with your level of fabrication I am looking forward to seeing what you have up your sleeve.

Hi willis. The rear fender is next weeks project. Since I shortened the rear loop 3 1/2" and eliminated all the mounts I welded a tab in the center of the rear hoop and that`s as far as I`ve got. I did order another of the hand formed Revive Custom Motorcycles aluminium fenders to match the front and it will be here next week. The shortened rear loop and seat clearance are going to require some thought. I also have to make a splash guard, mount a tail light and possibly make a little rack and grab rail combo all of which have to mount somewhere?
box 004.JPG

Back