xs650 scrambler build

sean colleary

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
well i go to pick up this 1979 xs650 next weekend going to be doing a scrambler build. so starts my new adventure with the xs cant wait to see where this project takes me mechanically and literally. ps i live in denver co
IMG_5283.JPG IMG_5284.JPG

ok so get a new fender or cut the one on there to shorten it up i want to be able to get something that covers the frame by the tires to protect the carbsyamaha-scrambler-1.jpg .idk what im going to do for the front fender right now front fender high bmw scrambler ninet.jpg maybe something like this. for pipes i found some cool stuff might do something low with this muffler with them stacked like a old 2 smokerJ4A1809-2.jpg or do like a normal scrambler with thes mufflers 53mm-Torpedo-reverse-cone-shorty-muffler-3-e1500778155741.jpg .now for wheels im not sure how big i want to go or just stick with what i got and get some good dule sport tires on it . bars im going to get some pro-tapers and eliminate all the mic bar controls for some sleeker ones 7-8-Micro-Switch-3-Button-3.jpg. o and tuck all the wiring i can and make it look as clean as i can ... and of corse square number plates on the side where the bat box would be and want to do a bat elimination.... i think thats it lol ... for now @GodJockey

Welcome to the forum Sean,
You might consider keeping this thread going as your build thread. You can post all your updates and photos here all in one location so we can follow along. We love photos!
You might enjoy looking at some of the builds on this website. They might have some ideas that interest you.

http://www.therapygarage.com/builds/

What rattling sound? That bike in the video sounds pretty good to me Sean.

Now - if you used the electric start and it sounds like "a teaspoon tossed down a garburator" (in the words of a Forum member) - then, yeah it is normal - as long as the bike starts. Most XS650's start well on the electric starter but if they have to crank for more than a few seconds, you often get a nasty sounding grind.

It is a well-known problem and is easy to fix. Just look up "starter gear repair" on this forum and you'll find all sorts of stuff on that little task.

Pete

here we go started to disassemble the bike today and i found a rats nest of a harness 100 splices so i have to redo all the wiring but for now im just going to rip it all out and start from scratch
is there a good simplified wiring harness i can use for head light brake light motor and starter ? would the tc bro simplified o btw i am going to be getting the pma kit from dime city IMG_5320.jpg IMG_5321.jpg IMG_5322.jpg IMG_5323.jpg IMG_5324.jpg IMG_5325.jpg harness work for my application

There's simplified wiring diagrams and sources for pins and connectors in the tech section if you can't find the harness you need. Pretty easy to make your own.
If you're going minimal on electrical, you might want to consider sticking to the stock charging sys. instead of the PMA....

There's simplified wiring diagrams and sources for pins and connectors in the tech section if you can't find the harness you need. Pretty easy to make your own.
If you're going minimal on electrical, you might want to consider sticking to the stock charging sys. instead of the PMA....
Whats your opinion on switching from points

Whats your opinion on switching from points
My general philosophy is if it ain't broke, don't f#ck with it... :) Points need adjusting and replacing periodically. I personally don't mind doing that. Electronic ignition is pretty much no maintenance. Both systems work well when properly maintained.... the electronic systems are spendy....

More wrench time required vs. a lighter wallet... That's a choice for you to make. ;)

Back