Xs650 Shiftdrum

Crashedkiwi

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all;
Can anyone help me please? I’m about to reassemble an ‘80-81 xs650 that I received in parts. What I need to know is whether or not there is two bearing races on the shifting drum. I have the caged needle roller assembly for the small spigot end of the drum, but I have no bearing race for the other end ( the end that sits behind the selector mech). I can see on MikesXS in the schematic a bearing indicated, but it does not feature in their parts list and when I put this question to them, they could not answer.

I’d greatly appreciate knowing whether there is in fact a ball bearing race present here - & if so the bearing ID so I can source the thing from my bearing supplier.
Many thanks in advance for your help.

I don't recall a separate bearing there. I think the piece behind the star mechanism (left, right of the green line in pic) is a bearing that is part of the shift drum assy.
yamaha-xs650-1980-a-usa-shift-cam-fork_notated.gif

Attachments

• yamaha-xs650-1980-a-usa-shift-cam-fork_bigyau0718b-10_147f.gif
    yamaha-xs650-1980-a-usa-shift-cam-fork_bigyau0718b-10_147f.gif
    128.9 KB · Views: 50
Yes I do recall that there is a bearing. It is not immediately obvious when looking at the assembly. The bearing is not included in transmission bearing kits, but should not have much wear as the shift drum does not move much compared to other parts.

I don't recall a separate bearing there. I think the piece behind the star mechanism (left, right of the green line in pic) is a bearing that is part of the shift drum assy.
View attachment 228723
Thanks - that is my read also - just seems strange to me that they would run the drum in the casing with no bearing. I know its a limited rotational movement, but I could not get my head around not having a bearing there
Apologize for the blurry shot but yes the part JP highlighted is the bearing and it um looks rather happy right where it is....

View attachment 228759
Thanks - this is most most helpful. Nice to see there is a bearing there - Mine is missing; The prior owner said he had a "mechanic" helping him. BAsed on this and other things, its no wonder I was able to buy this as a non runner project!

The weird thing is that the bearing size transpires to be a 36mm OD /20mm ID bearing to fit the casing and shiftdrum. Here in NZ, I can only find 37mm OD /20mm ID bearings; & from what is see when searching on the web, this may now be the standard convention. I may need to modify the casing!

Yes I do recall that there is a bearing. It is not immediately obvious when looking at the assembly. The bearing is not included in transmission bearing kits, but should not have much wear as the shift drum does not move much compared to other parts.
Thanks, appreciated. My issue is that my bearing is MIA!

Cheers - nice to see another Kwi here! I'm now on a hunt for the bearign as its MIA in the bits I have.

Thanks all for your insight and assistance, they were invaluable. Turns out the bearing is a caged roller assemnby, 36mmOD, 20mm ID & 12mm W. I found one languishing in another set of casings I found lying around - lucky I'd not line bored the casing to the now standard 37mmID. Now to reassemble!

Back