Make Offer - XS650 standard - Portland ME

RPC3

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Well, I'm in the process of maybe listing my bike for sale...I've got a toddler and another on the way so my riding time/responsibilities have changed over the past few years. I've gotten a ton of help from this forum over the years so I wanted to see if anyone is in the market here before fully committing to a Craigslist post.

1978 Standard. Mostly original, 13,xxx miles. I've owned for 4 years, the bike is clean (not perfect). Shouldn't need much. Bill of sale only. $2,500 is what I'll be asking for.

I've only put about 2k miles on the bike in 4 years, so any work that has been done has seen minimal mileage. Over the last few years:

New tubes & tires
Battery (2017) - kept on tender
Pamco w/optical sensor. New coil & plug wires
M/C off a TW250 (11mm), SS brake line, rebuilt caliper, new front pads and rear shoes
complete new wiring harness along with solid state rectifier and upgraded regulator. All grounds cleaned.
LED tail light. Brushes in good shape, stator rings cleaned.
Carbs (stock bs38) completely cleaned and rebuilt, throttle shaft seals replaced. idle jet 1 over, main 2 over (after market mufflers). New carb boots (plus drilled and tapped for petcock vacuum
New oil filter and sump filter. Many gaskets replaced, no leaks (replaced clutch pushrod seal, tach seal/ring)
New chain & sprockets.
Spare parts include the remaining gaskets from a gasket set, a throttle cable, a spare set of bs38 carbs, a special seat. Also have a Yamaha shop manual and Clymers manual.
Bike has had plenty of oil changes, fork oil was changed last summer. Shocks are unknown after market but ride is comfortable.
Last fall I did a full tune up (cam chain tension/valves/timing/carbs) - started right up this spring. Just put new fuel filters and fuel lines on, will give it an oil change within the week.

Do I really want to sell the bike? no - but I feel like it's probably the right thing to do. If I were to keep it I'd probably pick away at little things like brass swing-arm bushings, polishing/cosmetic details, maybe a new clutch cable, switch the stock air-filter for Uni pods, etc, but I'm also comfortable that it could be driven with basic maintenance for a long period of time as well. Maybe it'll fit the bill for someone shopping, so let me know. Thanks

xs650.jpg

That’s a very nice looking bike. I’m just curious, why is it being sold with just a bill of sale?

That’s a very nice looking bike. I’m just curious, why is it being sold with just a bill of sale?

I bought it without the title and Maine doesn't require one for registration or insurance. I believe Maine actually has a fairly simple process for a lost title replacement but since I've never needed it I've never gone through with the full process. I bought the bike from an older gentleman in New Hampshire and I'm fairly certain they don't require a title to register, either.

Wow - the laws sure do vary from place to place. Without a title here - that beautiful bike would be a lawn ornament (albeit a VERY pretty one).

Yeah, Pete, south of the border there's lots of variation too. In Illinois, anything without a title is a parts bike or decoration.

Not trying to put down your machine, RPC3, just suggesting that you might find a wider field of buyers and get a better price if you get your machine titled. The late Standards are rare, and yours appears to be a real beauty.

Yup, and I'd post a couple more photos. Sure appears to be a nice bike!

Pete

Thanks for the input. I agree, a title might make sense even if it stays in Maine, just to check that box. I'll get some more pictures up later tonight. I think deep down both the title and pictures are just another step to actually parting with the bike. It's a process...

Wisco has supposedly made it easier to title bikes I have a real mongrel no title XS650 and might just try out the process.

+1 with superjet .......................but i disagree about keeping the bike as a hobby as an away time from the Family. It can be worth more as you will be home working on the bike and it can be a bonding with the children and while they are helping you the better half has some space to herself.........and she knows where you are.......Money is easily spent, a well maintained 78Standard, as yours, will hold its value and may increase or at least any money spent, (within reason) should be able to be recouped as the vale of the bike rises.

Yup, I’d pump gas on the midnight shift before I’d sell that rare bike. If you don’t need the money, then just park it and fiddle occasionally.