Xs650 US any good as a flat tracker donor bike ?

007sparky

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi peeps , just been offered a xs650 US and not sure how these differ to a special regards a flat tracker project ?

They all work just fine, 77 and newer have the bigger fork. the differences if you are building a "My way" custom are so slight as to be meaningless. Slightly different rear shock location is the biggest deal 16" vs 18" rear rims.

The special has a rear disc swingarm, the standard is drum brake. The real difference there is the special swingarm has a top mount for the brake stay rod, the std swingarm its on the bottom. The swingarms themselves can be used on either frame. I am not sure if the shouck mounting point is different on the 2 arms. Like Gary said, it is different on the frames.

That would give you side by side comparison. Spokes VS mags more or less. I like the mags and disc brake rear wheel. Both look good on a tracker. Your choice.

Yes scabber I'm usually a spoke man but on a tracker the mags look way more awesome and much easier to clean , also way cheaper to refurb

If you have an 1981 and want to do a tracker you have to switch swing arms so you can have a disk brake mag on the back(81s had a drum brake mag) Just my 2Cents.

Need some pics.

I have seen XS650 US Custom sold or advertised as an 80 and 81 but they looked exactly the same with mag disk brakes on the rear.

The Euro Standard with dual front disk brakes, (77-79), had the caliper mounting lugs lower on the front forks to accommodate the smaller disk. The US Standards, (77-79) and Specials, (78-83), had the larger front disk so the caliper mounts on the forks are higher up the leg. The smaller disk is the same as the rear disk on the Specials.

Again some pics would be nice.

Back