XS650 virgin with mono shock build

Joey Cottontail

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. This is my first XS after owning dozens of bikes.
It’s a 78 frame with a 81 motor. Just getting started on it and much respect to anybody that has completed a build on these.
Haven’t really figured out where to go next after draping the wiring harness on it and finding the red/yellow is shorted somewhere and heating up. Donor engine bike was running(I rode it) but PO cut the pictured wires so there was a problem before I swapped it.
Will keep studying the forum and figure it out eventually. Would like to get one thing fixed before compounding it. I have an 80s vintage front full fairing I’m customizing for fitment on the bike and haven’t settled on the tank,seat, and tail.
I like to put stuff together that I find locally for cheap. I have clip-ons and rear sets that came with bike but I’m not really into them.
Keeping starter and battery because I injured my kick knee in-line speed skating last year and I don’t want risk it. Cheers 09C00E05-E264-419C-8F1A-35A8987AB12D.jpeg 80B90F08-FE64-4D55-84C2-D1B5D501E7C2.jpeg

Is it just me , ? the lower pipes holding the rear wheel --Swing -- seems have a smaller diameter than stock
or is it just the picture perhaps is stock .just not used to see it open

Back