XS650 vs 750

HokieBike

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
i've been lurking on here for a while now...

I'm wanting to take the plunge, but I'm wondering about the difference between the 650 and 750. My previous bike was a twin, and I'm drawn to them. tripples are foreign. has anyone driven both and can explain the differences?

ease of maintenance (labor and parts availability)
power-weight difference
maneuverability
online community

i'm looking to get a cafe out of it and up until now i've only considered the 650, but a good deal on a decent 750 just came up and it's killing me!

Welcome aboard!
Obviously, it is a personal preference, and only you can make the final choice.
As far as the online community goes, I don't think you will find a more knowledgeable group, willing to share, than you have available here.
I'm in the middle of putting together a cafe version of the 650 right now (started out life as a tracker, so obviously this platform has great flexibility), and my research has shown many examples of people adapting 75o parts (gas tanks, etc.) onto the 650 platform, if that tells you anything...
Good luck!

650 vs 750 as in the XS650 vs XS750 Or adding the 750 kit to an XS650?
If you have to rebuild your engine I think doing the 750 kit is worth it. More power and less vibes are both +'s. No noticable difference in fuel milage. Mayb 1 or 2 mpg.
Leo

It depends on the model you are looking at. I would avoid the '76 and early '77 models. The '78 and '79 models are more cruiser styles, a little bit more difficult to get the "cafe" look. Right now I'm riding a '77-2D, a standard style, that's the PO converrted from points to electronic ignition. It has a more "cafe" look to it. Starts up on the first or second kick and has plenty of power. Nice not having to worry about a chain, plus stops well with the 3 disc brakes. It is a bit top heavy compared to the 650.

Parts and support are not as plentiful as with the XS650, plus this forum is the best forum I've seen as far as knowledge, information, and diversity of ideas.

If the bike you are looking at has points ignition, you'll want to swich it to electronic. Also, there is a potential problem with the bike slipping out of second gear that has to be addressed, I haven't run across that with my bike, or with the 850 triple I had a few years back.

You can probably find an excellent community like this to help with about anything you decide to make your own. Some bikes have several. To me, the biggest advantage of the XS650 is the availability of parts. (Other than it's a way cool bike.) I can't think of another bike so well supported. Even then, it sometimes crosses my mind to dump all this junk and buy a Bonnie. Finding parts for some of these old bikes can be a real challenge. Maybe that's part of the fun! FWIW, I also have an XS1100. The parts game is much tougher for that one. Nobody even makes exhaust for it anymore.

I had a '78 XS750 Standard. It ranks as the second best bike I have ever owned (VTR1000F is #1). It didn't do anything the best but it did everything well. Very low maintenance, reliable, sounds cool, quick enough, corners well enough, just overall a nice bike to ride.

I love my XS650 but not because it's a 'great' bike. It's crude and doesn't do anything particularly well, but it puts a smile on my face every time I ride it. It's a simple, reliable bike for guys who like to tinker.

If you want a nice bike to ride then get the XS750. If you want to build a race bike then get the XS650. If you are only racing to cafes then it doesn't really matter which bike you get, you can slap clip-ons and cowl seat on either of them.

all great feedback! thanks guys (esp those who've owned and rode both). i'm feeling way better about the XS750. Any all of you who said it are right, this forum is spectacularly helpful.

I found this good link on the 750. I think the XS750 Special is beautiful. I think the Standard is ugly, even though the first bike I ever rode was a Standard and I ought to have at least some sentimental attachment?

The XS750 Special:
http://www.thedieselpage.com/yamaha/xs750sfc.htm

Last edited:
Back