xs650 wheels

wannarat, Tire sizes are listed by the width, aspect ratio and wheel size. As in 110/90-18 The 110 is the width the 90 the aspect ratio the 18 the wheel size.
You can use these numbers to determine the height of a tire.
The aspect ratio is the ratio between the width of the tire to the height of the tire from bead to tread.
To determine the height you multiply the width by the aspect ratio by expressing the ratio as a percentage. In this case 90%. So 110 x 90% = 99. Now seeing as the tire is above as well as below the wheel multiply this by 2. 99 x 2 = 198. This is a metric number, to convert to inches you devide this by 25.4 as 25.4 mm = 1 inch. So, 198 devided by 25.4 = 7.79 inches. Add the wheel size, 7.79 + 18 = 25.79 inches tall.
The 16 inch wheel used a 130/90-16. So 130 x 90% = 117, 117 x 2 = 234, 234 devided by 25.4 = 9.21, 9.21+ 16 = 25.21
So the height difference is 25.79 - 25.21 = .58 inches. That's just a bit over 1/2 inch.
As mentioned this isn't much difference. This will at say 4500 rpms make about 1 mph difference in your speed.
The handling will be a bit different, the narrower tire will turn in quicker when cornering.
All of these things won't matter much to people that think the looks of a bike is more important than how it works.
Leo

So to answer you question, you shouldn’t have any problems getting a set of 77 wheels to fit onto an 81 if they are both drum rear. Might have to swap the front brake disc though if the 77 wheels are from early in the year and were mounted to the older 34mm forks. From my understanding, if the discs look the same on both wheels, they'll work with no problems.

'77 XS650D was the first year model with 35 mm forks. The brakes match all of the subsequent models. The '77 front wheel/rotor is a direct swap with the '81 XS650SH.

One other year front wheel will not interchange with any other year too and that being the 72 disc brake front wheel. 69 and up drum rears all interchange, 73 and up front wheels all interchange. Rotors need to be matched with the front end you are using. also xs- 750, 850, and 1100 front wheels will work. Im not sure about rears. I think that there are other models of the era that will work as well.

The XS750, XS850, and XS1100 are all shaft driven motorcycles. Their rear wheels are not suitable for an XS650. FWIW, the XS1100 shares front brake rotors with the XS650.

The SR500 front wheel is a 19", not an 18". It can be converted to work on the rear with a kit from Omar's (if you're made of money).

The SR500 front wheel is a 19", not an 18". It can be converted to work on the rear with a kit from Omar's (if you're made of money).

Not made of money and don't really want a 19" on the back of a hardtail.
Is there a 18" mag wheel that will work in the back?
Should i just get a 16" mag rear?
I have an add in the classifieds wanting to trade my 19"/18" spoke wheels for mags.

Simple answer - no. You would have to adapt an 18" from a different Yamaha model or a whole different brand of bike like a Suzuki, Kawasaki, etc. A 16" rear mag would be the easiest path but still not "cut and dry". '81 was the only year that came with a rear drum 16" mag. '78, '79, and '80 rear 16" mags would be disc equipped.

Simple answer - no. You would have to adapt an 18" from a different Yamaha model or a whole different brand of bike like a Suzuki, Kawasaki, etc. A 16" rear mag would be the easiest path but still not "cut and dry". '81 was the only year that came with a rear drum 16" mag. '78, '79, and '80 rear 16" mags would be disc equipped.

I don't mind the switch from drum to disc.
I am hardtailing so i have fab work to do back there anyways.
I would also need the mc, caliper, bracket, spacers, & stay rod.
Will the 16" mag have the same size axle & sprocket, and bolt right up?
Thanks

Yes, if from a 650, it will bolt right up. Also be aware that the brake pedal pivot shaft is different. The bracket on the rear that works the MC is totally different from the one on a drum brake pivot shaft. Best get one of them too.

Thanks for the info 5twins!
I think Hugh and Lowbrow customs sell a brake pivot kit you referred to.
I will revise my classified post.

I think what they sell is simply the mount tube for the brake pedal pivot. You need your own pivot to stick in there.

All the disc brake rotors from 77 up are the same.
The earlier rotors 73 to 76 are different.
The early rotors have an offset to match the early two piston calipers.
The later rotor have an offset to match the one piston calipers.
Any year wheel from 73 up will fit on any bike 73 up. Just use the rotor to match the caliper.
Leo

Wow , fantastic, these bikes are so cool. love em. This is my 4th. one and the only one I have had to build. Hope to be riding in the spring. Thanks Leo and 650Skull.

I know this is an old thread but I have a 72 XS2 front wheel on my 81 sh. the one with the floating rotor. from what I read this isn't possible? I am trying to buy a stock 80 special front spoke rim and it reads 3.50 S19 on the tire. Will the 80 special rim fit? I have time to bail on it if not. I am worried the rotor won't line up and I really shouldn't have this wheel on my motorcycle but it was bought that way. this all started by trying to get the speedo to work. I have a line on a 81 axle if that will help. I really don't know what all is in there right now except the wheel and the smaller late model speedo drive. I have 35 mm forks.

The 72 rotor set up was a one year only thing. In 73 they went to the bolt on rotor. They still used a two piece rotor with the correct offset to match the two piston caliper used on the 72. They used this set up till 75, in 76 they moved the caliper to the rear of the fork. In 77 they changed to a single piston caliper and changed to a one piece rotor with less offset to match the new caliper.
They used the same set up on the front wheel hubs as far as the way they mount the rotors and to the forks. Spoke or mag.
This means that any front wheel from 73 up will inter change with any year fork. Just use the rotor to match the caliper.
Now in your case where you have a 72 wheel on your 81, are you sure it has a 35 mm fork?
Pics of what you have will show us how you wheel fits the forks as well as how the adapted the caliper to match the rotor.
Leo

did you see my gallery pics? As for the 35mm it took the 35mm seals when I rebuilt the forks. I have the rear mounted caliper and bought a new caliper setup from mikes for the 81. it has the rectangleish pads

does this help?

Attachments

• 744270074_o.jpg
    744270074_o.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 448
Those do look like 35 mm fork, they way the caliper mounts is right.
As I said any year from 73 up will fit those forks.
Leo

well it looks like 72 on up huh? If I am good to go I would rather have the 80 with a bolt on rotor than the xs2. plus the bearings that I bought some time back will now have a use.
Thanks for the response. Mr. Leo

Back