xs650 wheels

Fredintoon, I googled the hell outta everything I could think off and can't find anything resembling these wheels either. Closest I found was a GS650 but they're not the same as the ones I've got. I just like to know what I'm working with, it's not a big deal. Just figured someone might know.

I'm on the fence as to how I'm gonna fit them up with my build. The sleeves sound like a good idea though, but I have no access to machines or lathes. That's why i figured swapping bearings would be easier. Might take some head scratching on this one. I'm not a builder by any stretch of the imagination haha.

Hi KeystoneHate,
what you need is some Bros.
Bro with truck
Bro with MIGwelder
Bro with paint booth
And especially in your case, Bro with lathe.
And/or look for a local trade school or tech college that runs a machinist's evening class.

Well they are most definitely Yamaha, just found tuning forks on the castings. The rear wheel has the following bearing numbers, right:6303RS left:6203LU. The front wheel just has those stupid open bearings with the cage and I can see daylight through em, still roll smooth though.

I am betting swapping bearings would be my best course of action to get these suckers to fit. I know I could've done this by just looking around but sometimes getting outta yer head and on an open forum lets ya think better.

Hi KeystoneHate,
what you need is some Bros.
Bro with truck
Bro with MIGwelder
Bro with paint booth
And especially in your case, Bro with lathe.
And/or look for a local trade school or tech college that runs a machinist's evening class.

Haha I aint got no BROS!! I have a truck though, and a mig welder, and a garage I painted my Harley in!! I'm like halfway to being a halfass builder!! I'm military and I haven't been in my current location too long so I don't know anyone. Gotta get some bros.

Got it!! 1981 xj550 Seca. I almost broke google tryin to find these damn things.

Attachments

• Yamaha XJ550 Seca.jpg
    Yamaha XJ550 Seca.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 378
Put xj550 maxim wheels on an xs650, used xj550 maxim forks (36mm for the maxim vs. 35mm for the seca), an xj550 maxim swing arm, which fits the xs650 just right, and an 81 xs400 rear wheel drive to get the gearing the same as the xs650. You might be able to do something similar with the seca wheels, .

Haha I aint got no BROS!! I have a truck though, and a mig welder, and a garage I painted my Harley in!! I'm like halfway to being a halfass builder!! I'm military and I haven't been in my current location too long so I don't know anyone. Gotta get some bros.

Hi KeystoneHate,
Gawdelpus, man! The US military gotta have machine shops all over?
Check out what there is on base.
Anyone with a mig and a truck must have mutual favor granting capacity?

Hi KeystoneHate,
Gawdelpus, man! The US military gotta have machine shops all over?
Check out what there is on base.
Anyone with a mig and a truck must have mutual favor granting capacity?

I am an aircraft mechanic and normally I work near a machine shop that could help me out, but I'm on a different kind of assignment and I am not in my usual territory. Makies it tough. But I'm gonna pull on some resources and see what I can make happen. Or buy a damn lathe/miller off craigslist!!

Put xj550 maxim wheels on an xs650, used xj550 maxim forks (36mm for the maxim vs. 35mm for the seca), an xj550 maxim swing arm, which fits the xs650 just right, and an 81 xs400 rear wheel drive to get the gearing the same as the xs650. You might be able to do something similar with the seca wheels, .

Ive been looking around and I just gotta swap bearings and I should be good.

Besides bearings, you will probably need new larger diameter inner spacers that fit inside the hubs between the bearings. These need to be the exact right length so the bearings don't pinch together too much when the axle is tightened.

I'm doing my first build, and shooting for something similar to the bike below. I've been doing a lot of research, but figured this would would be a good place to ask a few questions of the experts, before I try to re-invent the wheel. Two questions:

1. Has anybody managed to put a 16" spoked rim on the front of the XS650? Like as a match to the 130/90-16 that's on the back? I've got an 82 XS650SJ Heritage Special, and I'm wanting to go with a fat tire front and back. I know the hub won't transfer because of the drum vs disc, but what about using a rear 16" rim and re-spoking it to the original front hub?

2. I think, to use that fatter tire, I'll have to use a wider triple tree. Does anyone know of a triple tree that's a simple swap? Basically, one that uses the same fork tube diameter, and fits on the XS650 frame?

100_20351-1024x766.jpg

Last edited:
I think I'd start looking for a v-star 650 front wheel. maybe the whole front end.

Yep, that V-Star front end is exactly the look I want...I'm not sure if it will fit the XS650's neck though, and I don't want to cut and weld the neck tube. I'll see if I can find bearing size on that front end, though. It might be exactly what I need.

I just found an huge list of axle and neck bearing sizes for a variety of Japanese bikes, and thought I'd share. So, for my purposes, if I can find a model on here with both top and bottom bearings having an O.D. of 48mm (like my XS650), I should be able to swap out the steering bearings, and the new front end would basically be bolt on. And the search continues...

http://www.clubchopper.com/forums/m...-tube-sizes-neck-bearings-axle-diameters.html

That's an AWESOME cross-reference! That link needs to be sticky!!

Thanks, Gary, that will help quite a bit. Looks like the V-star front end might very well be a straight bolt on conversion, and the V-star Classic sports the 130/90-16 wheel I'm wanting. I've already found a couple of V-star front ends for sale, so this may be my next step. :)

I knew I asked in the right place. Thanks!!!!!

Hello all,
This is my first post on the forum. I am planning on building a tracker styled bike.
I am starting with an 83' special with a 16in rear spoked wheel. I would like to put a 18 in wheel in the back. Could I just get an 18in rim and spokes from Mikes and use the same hub?

Yes, you could do that, or get a whole 18" rear wheel from an earlier 650. It will swap right in.

Hello all,
This is my first post on the forum. I am planning on building a tracker styled bike.
I am starting with an 83' special with a 16in rear spoked wheel. I would like to put a 18 in wheel in the back. Could I just get an 18in rim and spokes from Mikes and use the same hub?

Hi Mateo and welcome,
that's your $200 bargain with the angry bird painted on the tank?
That'll need to be an 18" steel rim with the right number of spoke holes (48?) and spokes to match. I'm not sure if MikesXS has those.
If he does, you're good to go. If not, you can swap in a complete 18" drum rear from an earlier model. But it won't match the front wheel.
Up to you but if it were my build and I couldn't get an 18" 48 spoke rim I'd swap in a front wheel and a rear wheel that matched each other.

Back