XS6502F / XS650SK mash up?

jetmechmarty

Project collector
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I've had a POS (found in junkyard) '79 Special II for a very long time and I have a pretty good idea of what I want to do with it, at least in my head. I just picked up another Heritage Special over the weekend. It is disassembled and the collection of parts seems to be lacking the corrosion I'd expect to find. I've already decided I don't want another Heritage and mine will enjoy some of these parts.
I'm wondering about pitfalls in the mashup. I'm thinking about fixing the '79 with the '83 engine, ignition, wiring, everything. I'll just maintain most of the Special II appearance. The frame I picked up has some Sawsall damage. I won't know what's missing until I do the reassembly.
My '79 engine is locked up solid. The new one is condition unknown.

Oooohhhh..... this'll be good.... Plans are just there so you have something to deviate from.

giphy (3).gif

Should make a nice combination. The '79 SPII wheels are unique, only Special spoke wheels with alloy rims. You'll have to make a carb set choice. Either would be good. The '79 BS38's are about the best of the 38's in my opinion, but the 34's are nice too. I have no complaints about the set on my '83 so far, they're working well. Wiring harness will need to be from the Heritage to get the TCI wiring, and will have the added safety relays, but you don't need to install them. You actually won't be able to use the sidestand switch, there's no mounts for it on a '79 frame. There will be extra tail and license plate light wires but they all branch off the same blue power feed wire so just pick one.

If you want one key to work all the locks, you'll probably need to stick with the '79 lock set. There was a key blank style change around this time. The '79 may use the earlier type (4 number key code). The Heritage will definitely have the newer type (letter and 5 numbers).

Should make a nice combination. The '79 SPII wheels are unique, only Special spoke wheels with alloy rims. You'll have to make a carb set choice. Either would be good. The '79 BS38's are about the best of the 38's in my opinion, but the 34's are nice too. I have no complaints about the set on my '83 so far, they're working well. Wiring harness will need to be from the Heritage to get the TCI wiring, and will have the added safety relays, but you don't need to install them. You actually won't be able to use the sidestand switch, there's no mounts for it on a '79 frame. There will be extra tail and license plate light wires but they all branch off the same blue power feed wire so just pick one.

If you want one key to work all the locks, you'll probably need to stick with the '79 lock set. There was a key blank style change around this time. The '79 may use the earlier type (4 number key code). The Heritage will definitely have the newer type (letter and 5 numbers).
The '79 wheels are my favorite part! I also love the unique Heritage wheels, but I already have that bike and I'm going to refit them. Carburetor choice could come to airboxes. If I can fit the plastic boxes to the '79 frame, I'll have a nice option. If not, I'll probably look to using the early ones. I also got new Uni pods in the mess I collected.

The UNI pods work fine. I know some swear by the airboxes, but I tried them finally and didn't find much, if any, difference in the way the bike ran. It certainly didn't run any better than with the pods, and dealing with those airboxes is such a PITA when working on the bike.

You're going to have the Heritage electrical components to deal with, specifically mounting them. There's no mount on the '79 frame backbone behind the engine for the reg/rec unit. You will probably need to put it where the original '79 separate regulator went, on the left side of the battery box. Not sure it would clear the airbox, or if you moved it back far enough so it did, maybe the side cover wouldn't fit on then. So that may prompt pod installation.

You're going to have the Heritage electrical components to deal with, specifically mounting them. There's no mount on the '79 frame backbone behind the engine for the reg/rec unit. You will probably need to put it where the original '79 separate regulator went, on the left side of the battery box. Not sure it would clear the airbox, or if you moved it back far enough so it did, maybe the side cover wouldn't fit on then. So that may prompt pod installation.
Once I get this thing going, I'll have to see if the late battery box structure fits into the earlier frame. The '79 did junkyard time. The '83 is pristine by comparison, so I'll swap as much as possible.

If title isn't an issue, you'd have an easier time just mounting the Special II wheels on the Heritage chassis. All the tins except for the frame cover will fit too. You might want to reshape the Heritage seat and have a new cover made, but that can be done without a whole lot of trouble and expense.

If title isn't an issue, you'd have an easier time just mounting the Special II wheels on the Heritage chassis. All the tins except for the frame cover will fit too. You might want to reshape the Heritage seat and have a new cover made, but that can be done without a whole lot of trouble and expense.
The Heritage chassis is stripped and partially detabbed with a Sawsall, including rear fender mounts. I'd prefer not to have to locate the bits and weld them back on. I don't have a welder and my space is becoming increasingly more limited. I also like the metal frame covers with less angle on the top of them.
At this point, any input I receive on the subject is more than welcome. My MO is put stuff together exactly as the manufacturer intended. There's no room for creativity in my business. So, yes, I need help in that department.
For the record, the '79 Eleven Special is the prettiest one to me. It looks long and low. Making the 650 Special appear lower will do the trick.

Once I get this thing going, I'll have to see if the late battery box structure fits into the earlier frame. The '79 did junkyard time. The '83 is pristine by comparison, so I'll swap as much as possible.
Pretty sure I have a 78-79 batt. box. Yours for the ride if you need it.

Pretty sure I have a 78-79 batt. box. Yours for the ride if you need it.
Thank you! I'll PM you if I need it. This project was on the back burner. With the acquisition, it moved to the front. I need to rearrange the mess in the garage, pull the SP II and make an assessment. It had a seat on it when I found it. While it rotted away, I believe it protected much of what was underneath.

At this point, any input I receive on the subject is more than welcome. My MO is put stuff together exactly as the manufacturer intended. There's no room for creativity in my business. So, yes, I need help in that department.
For the record, the '79 Eleven Special is the prettiest one to me. It looks long and low.
Having a complete 79 S II frame is a huge opportunity to "bolt on" mod to your liking. Would you consider a Standard tank and seat with low bars for an immediate change in stance and great looks?

Having a complete 79 S II frame is a huge opportunity to "bolt on" mod to your liking. Would you consider a Standard tank and seat with low bars for an immediate change in stance and great looks?
Yes! I already have superbike bars in both black and chrome, black painted fenders and black headlight. I have two Special tanks and a standard I can use for visual as it has a big dent in the side from the movers.

Sorry to hear the PO and the movers vandalized the Heritage frame and the Standard tank, Marty. The Heritage reg/rec unit can be hung under the battery box where the earlier rectifier goes; might have to drill a hole or two in the bottom of the battery box for mounting, but it will get plenty of air in that spot.

This has been on my mind for a while.
This guy has done it
minifnder 1.jpg

Or buy a set of ears that can be lowered, still leaves
the problem of lowering the gauges
copy of xs650 097.headlight.jpg

but if you keep the original headlight brackets then maybe this could work.

Get another earlier model crown, 76-79 Standard would be less work.........the specials could be used as well..........cut around where it is attached to the frame head, (it can then be installed under the original crown hard up against it, (the top crown gauge brackets and ignition brackets, if a special crown is used, an be cut off), If the gauge bracket is installed the same way on the bottom crown it lowers the gauges, 40mm.........if the gauge bracket is attached to the underside of the bottom gauge bracket the gauges are lowered 60mm............

Doing this the factory fork ears can have 40mm removed from the bottom, this will lower the headlight 40mm. ........The original spacers that attach the fork/headlight ears top and bottom can be retained
,Text resized P1000550.jpg

Back