XS650B : Neutral Light Bulb

The later, 76-83 type gauge cases and brackets and rubber dampers are totally different to the 74/75 gauge case, bracket and rubber damper. I don't think the rubber ring that YamadudeXS650C used will work with the 74/75 gauge.

Try it by all means, cant hurt.

I will hunt up the damper i made for my 74/75 gauges. Havent worked on them for ages and i put the rubber away somewhere, ill look for it today and post up some pics.

The later, 76-83 type gauge cases and brackets and rubber dampers are totally different to the 74/75 gauge case, bracket and rubber damper. I don't think the rubber ring that YamadudeXS650C used will work with the 74/75 gauge.

Try it by all means, cant hurt. <snip>

That's a GOOD point 650Skull, :thumbsup: that's why I measured my tach and holder then ordered o-rings from McMasterCarr.

I'm thinking I can put one o-ring under the bezel, then place the tach in the holder and then slide another o-ring on and push it up so it catches the "ridge" in the holder.

I'd LOVE to have the correct part....but so far this idea is better than anything else I have in the shop.

Thanks for the help fellows....:)...Gordon in NC

1975 SX650B

Last edited:
Lets see a picture when you get it together, Gordon.

WILL DO!

Got them yesterday but don't have time right now to fit/photo. I'm trying to get this thing running and the tach is low on the list of things to do.

I did get a chance to get them out of the box and take a take a quick look. I have two sizes, one for the top and one for the bottom. It does look like I will have to cut a couple of notches in the lower o-ring to get it to work but since it's 1/4" thick I think there's enough material to make that work.

Update to follow.

Gordon in NC

1975 XS650B non running.....but soon, I hope.:bike:
and a few BSA unit singles

Last edited:
Well, I ended up with petcock kits that had the gaskets for the three hole back and I have the two hole type....yep, I'm waiting on parts again.

So....I gota chance to try out Yamadude's o-ring fix and.....it works a treat!!!

The tach on my 1975B looks like this......

I have no clue if it's correct but it's what I have. You can see that the case tapers down so I needed two different sizes of O-rings if I'm going to cover the same area as the stock rubber buffer (for lack of a better term)

I ordered these from Mcmaster-Carr

The larger one is for the lower. I hate that I forgot to take a photo of the inside of the gauge holder, but there's a ridge inside it and the o-rings go on either side of it..I'll try to get a pic of it later.

Both are Buna-N. The lower is 1/4" thick x 3 3/8" ID x 3 7/8" OD round profile, dash number 416

The upper is 1/8" thick x 3 5/8" ID x 3 7/8" OD and is the double seal/x-ring profile, dash number 239

To use the lower I had to notch it around the two tabs on the gauge cover.

To use the upper I had to use two of the rings. Here's a shot of the speedo ( pay NO attention to the damn grey primer that's STILL all over this poor bike) you can see the the gauge sits a little above the holder. (the speedo is sitting undisturbed in the stock buffer)

With the two (stacked) x-rings in place the tach looks just about right and is really solid.

The lower one is a bit of a pain to get in.....and I'm not sure you really need it....but in this case more is probably better and heck I have them now any way.

Cost for the upper was a little under a $1 each.....for a pack of 5. The lower were around $2.25 each for a pack of 5.

Stock would be better but this is a better fix than what I was going to do and I thank Yamadude for the idea.

Gordon in NC

1975 XS650B....non running but soon...very soon.

Last edited:
Well done. I take it your not going to use the gauge face/bezel, (for the want of a better word), rubbers

Well done. I take it your not going to use the gauge face/bezel, (for the want of a better word), rubbers

Skull, I'd love to use those but my bike came with only one.....at least I did get "most" of the grey primer off of that one. Got so many other things on the list right now, every time I turn around I find something else I need to change and I've been in such a hurry to hear this thing run....I'm spending 4 times the shipping because of it.

Funny thing about the tach....when I first looked at it the face was a 1/4 turn off. No big deal I thought (I'm used to Smiths) and figured it had just rotated like that...or was put back in wrong for some reason. It wasn't until I took a close look ( YES, I tried to rotate it back) that I realized that the two screws had fallen out of the face and it was the face only that had rotated. Had to pull the bezel off and fix that...but sure felt a little dumb for not catching that first....now I know that there's no way in hell that gauge could have rotated.

Take care.....winter is just around the corner for you.....and spring's on the way for me.

Gordon in NC

1975 XS650B non runner....but close, very close :bike:

ahhhh winter. If we are lucky/unlucky it may get down to single digits, 9 Celsius, for one night but on an average it 16/17 -24/26 Celsius. It's the summer that gets hot.

ahhhh winter. If we are lucky/unlucky it may get down to single digits, 9 Celsius, for one night but on an average it 16/17 -24/26 Celsius. It's the summer that gets hot.

Skull, I bet the local snowmobile salesman is going hungry.:laugh:

We have areas like that over here. Our deep South and Southwest see temps like that over the winter.....sometimes they drop a lot lower but it never lasts long.

The part of North Carolina where I live is sort of in the middle. I live at the foot of the mountains and we get cold from late October to the middle of March. Leave my house and climb the mountain and the temps can be 20 degrees (F) cooler. That can be a good thing in the summer but a deal breaker in the winter.

Your part of the world is a place I would LOVE to visit.....but like a lot of other things in my life....it's probably not going to happen.

Take care and thanks for taking the time to reply.

Gordon in NC

1975 XS650B non runner...but soon....very soon

Good to see that you worked it out, Gordon.
Your clear pictures and text are deserving of become a "how to" article in the Tech section !

Back