XS650D sudden loss of power

77xs 97Hartigan

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I was riding my XS home from school, when it suddenly just lost all power and throttle. As soon as I got to the side of the road and stopped, the engine died and I have been unable to get it to start since. Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this and what I should do?

Any help and ideas or advice will be grearly appreciated,
Thank you,
Seth

Any electrical power at all?
Headlight working?
Fuse(s), battery connection(s)/voltage?
Sufficiently grounded?
Fuel level and/or petcock position?
Does she still crank with the kicker or (if battery voltage is present) e-start?

All my electric is working, it cranks with both the e-start and kick. It's all stock ignition, carbs and all that. She'doesn't been running fantastic until she didn't run at all.

All my electric is working, it cranks with both the e-start and kick. It's all stock ignition, carbs and all that. She'doesn't been running fantastic until she didn't run at all.

Hi Seth,
bit of a guessing game here.
Quit cold rather than dropping one cylinder hints at ignition failure rather than carb blockage.
Unless it ran out of gas? You did check that?
And that there's big fat blue sparks at both of the plugs?

Hey so an update here, my coils are all good and getting spark. Any thought in why it would suddenly die on me?

Thanks again!
Hi Seth,
Why? because it's a machine and machines hate people, that's why.
To be absolutely sure that I understood what you meant, you removed the plugs, laid them on the cylinder head with the plug wires attached, turned the ignition on, kicked the engine over and saw big fat blue sparks on both plugs?
If so, check the valve timing and the ignition timing to see if anything has slipped to give good sparks at the wrong time.
If those are good, it's gotta be fuel. Or properly, the lack of fuel.
Please tell me you checked that you didn't just run out of gas?
If there's still gas in the tank, "triple clean your carbs" is the XS650 riders mantra.

I just checked my timing and checked my point clearance and that's all good. And I'm getting a good spark on both plugs. But I guess Im just confused that both of my carbs would go out at the same time with no warning, is that something that happens?

Seth,
I'm with Fred. A sudden, total no go combined with a subsequent failure to even fire certainly indicates an electrical problem. The fact that you have spark at both plugs clouds the electrical fault theory but I would suspect that something like a coil, condenser or advance mechanism has died. You will eventually sort this out. Please keep us posted.

roy

Sure sounds like running out of gas (been there, done that). Is fuel flowing... open petcock, remove carb drain if fuel don't flow you'r out of gas. Even with a full tank, petcocks can clog, fuel lines can clog..

Have you checked the timing and the advance unit? The advance unit may have come loose and shifted position. That would throw the timing off. You still get spark, just at the wrong time.

Have you checked the timing and the advance unit? The advance unit may have come loose and shifted position. That would throw the timing off. You still get spark, just at the wrong time.
My points are in time with the valves and pistons, could the advance unit be off separately from that?

Should I just jump ship and swap over top electronic ignition or would that help at all?
Hi Seth,
it's the American Way to throw parts at a problem until it goes away.
(One time Mr Stupid swapped out a complete alternator system one component at a time looking for it's lost charge.
Turned out it wasn't lost at all, just misdirected by a trapped wire that had grounded out.
Spent hundreds of dollars vs freeing up and re-insulating a trapped wire. WTF, I now own a complete spare charging system)
So don't be like me, before you spend money on parts you'd best find out why the bike quit like it did.

I'm not sure what you mean by your points are in time with your valves and pistons. Is the timing still correct? If the advance mechanism has shifted position, the timing will be off. Do a static timing check to verify it is correct.

Well, thank you for the tip. I took my advance cover off, and to my suprise the mechanism had grenaded itself.

I'm not sure what you mean by your points are in time with your valves and pistons. Is the timing still correct? If the advance mechanism has shifted position, the timing will be off. Do a static timing check to verify it is correct.

Attachments

• 14672642638001363383101.jpg
    14672642638001363383101.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 317
Well, on the bright side, you are now the perfect candidate for a Pamco with the E-advance. You need something to replace the advance unit anyway and the E-advance does just that, totally eliminating it. But I see you've done that already, lol.

Back