1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

XS650SG Alternator wanted

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Dangermouse, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Hi all, newbie here, i bought and fell for a 79 xs650sg. sooo cool.
    Anyway, have problem with it charging.....have had all electrics tested and it turns out everything is kaput!!!
    I can get a rectifier and starter relay from yambits. However finding a new stator and alternator is hard. There is westcoast winding who refurbish but at £200 it is a bit much. So here I am asking if there is anybody out there who has a good working order complete alternator for sale at a reasonable price. If so please get in touch . thanks Cal 20190412_183348.jpg

madmax-im likes this.
  2. Team Junk

Team Junk XS650 Addict XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

I would go through the threads on checking the charging system before throwing parts at it. Could be as simple as a set of brushes.

3. Had everything checked, replaced brushes, did the slap test (weak) then sent to motorcycle electrician , he tested everything and shown me , alternator kicking out 8.8 volts, rectifier is shot. tried earthing it and no difference at battery. etc.

4. Machine

Machine Race the wind Top Contributor

Where is, Markse by the sea ?

5. Team Junk

A quick check is to apply 12v to the brown wire going to the brushes and see if the charge voltage goes up.

Nice bike.

6. its a village on the north east coast of England. Just south of Middlesbrough , 25m north of Whitby

7. Thanks Team Junk, I am going round to the garage tomorrow night after work, will see what happens

8. Team Junk

Your year model is right on the cusp of the change over of the the charging system change to the ground controlled regulator. I would confirm which system you have. There are threads here on a DIY regulator that could be a good alternative. if it is the earlier system.

9. will do. anything on particular to look for?

10. madmax-im

madmax-im Yamaha...Go your own way... XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

SG is 1980...Unless things are different over there..Your bike is a 1979 650SF..y'all correct me if i am wrong....Thats a nice comfy looking seat too..nice bike...

11. Went by the frame number and came out as SG. Is there much difference between them?

12. madmax-im

madmax-im Yamaha...Go your own way... XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Not sure about differences..1980 was the 1st year for electronic ignition over here...

13. Team Junk

The alternator regulator is different on 80 and later. See the tech threads to compare the old vs. new regulators.

14. Mine is an American import and has electronic ignition. but it is a TCI unit. Was originally registered in December 79

15. Paul Sutton

Paul Sutton Buckhorns on XV1000SE Top Contributor

16. Thanks will look them up. Going out now for a beer, drown my sorrows, well a couple of pints anyway. will see what the garage says tomorrow night after trying the 12 v test on the brown wire.

17. Paul Sutton

Paul Sutton Buckhorns on XV1000SE Top Contributor

Are you sure the stator is dead? They rearly die.

18. Team Junk

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  19. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge, is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Yours is an 80SG. Trust me, I have one too. ;)
    As was mentioned above, the stator hardly ever fails. If you need it, I can sell you a rewound rotor for $130. Might even cut you some slack on that. :rolleyes:
    Even with shipping that would be cheaper than the 200 quid mentioned above. Have a look here. And comment #3 is for troubleshooting. Good luck.

madmax-im and Team Junk like this.
  20. Hi everybody, Just to recap
    My bike is a XS650SG as stated before, which is weird as it was registered in 1979.
    Have copied the troubleshooting page. (Thanks Jim). Will take this over to the garage tonight and see what they say. I am with you all on thinking it can't be ALL the component parts that are goosed. If I need a rotor I will definitely get one from Jim. Alternator (stator?) rewind can be done over here if needed.
    I have done some of the tests and got 8.8 volts at the bushes with the engine running a 3000rpm. No difference when I grounded the green wire, both with the reg connected and not. The battery is brand new, . So I am leaning towards ignition switch . Any info on that would be great.Thanks to all of you for helping a newbie such as me. I am okay on the tools but not great (lack of patience mainly). Will update as soon as .

Jim likes this.