XS750 vs XS850

Tripod

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I would be interested in your opinions of the XS750 vs. XS850 from those who have ridden one or both. Since I have the XS650 and XS1100, I would like to pick up one of the triples and would like your opinions on which bike, and which year, to concentrate.

Thanks much!

The 750 has better low end but had some durability issues (engine bearings, IIRC) that were supposedly fixed with the 850. They are really sweet runners when tuned well. Beware of Hitachi carbs! Pressed in jets and such make them damn near impossible to re-hab. I'll admit the 850 (only one) I have ridden was in much better shape than the 750, but both were pretty decent, except for the usual weak brakes (due mostly to old lines and poor service history)
I think the 850 is heavier too, but don't quote me. Both make great low to mid-range power for the vintage, in my opinion. If I were running one down, I would look for a later 850 non-special and NO HITACHI CARBS! Carb and linkage condition is a big deal, IMO. Not near the spares pool of a 650 or 1100. You have a couple of XS bikes already, so no surprises outside of normal old Yamaha stuff.
No expert, limited exposure. Others may have more info.

Back