Yam_Tech314's official build thread

Glad I've never had a piece of equipment scattered all over the garage floor, only to have my wife walk by and say shouldn't the plug wire be on the spark plug? :shootme:
She then wanders off. No doubt chewing on her cheeks to keep from bursting out laughing.

I am constantly laughing at myself. keeps me sane. I bagged and tagged every piece of the gauges, and harness components that I took apart lastnight, and put as much back together as I could, half of it went together wrong before I got it right again.

Especially the gauge housings... That REALLY threw me through a loop...

So, this isn't bike related AT ALL. But if you take a look at my status you'll see why I keep people posted... As I said before, the car took a poop. Well as it turns out, I may need to just fix it. I don't have many other options. But would ya just look at this... Lol it's pretty sad.

Cheaper to get a whole new motor than to rebuild the head, but I can't find a motor for it anywhere. What ever shall I do!

Attachments

• 20190804_161614.jpg
    20190804_161614.jpg
    367.7 KB · Views: 143
  • 20190804_213138.jpg
    20190804_213138.jpg
    301.7 KB · Views: 143
At this point, your best bet might be to cut your losses, hit the auctions, and find a whole other car. :shrug: "...healthy as a fly in a Venus fly trap" just doesn't sound worthy of any more work (on your part). As much as you want to apply your (newly learned) talents to repair the old P.O.S., it sounds like you'll just have to bite the bullet, and get a new ride. Grab one now, before returning college students snap up all the good deals... :twocents: Good luck.

Pretty damn sick, but I can't sleep, and laying around just makes me feel worse. Decided to try and tackle the rest of the wiring harness removal today. I got a bit ahead of myself, and the bike is almost naked. But nevertheless. Bagging and tagging the majority of my morning. I wanna make sure I label all the electronics properly. Can I have some help identifying these properly?
20190805_125347.jpg

20190805_125438.jpg

20190805_123649.jpg

20190805_132251.jpg

20190805_142725.jpg

Attachments

• 20190805_125347.jpg
    20190805_125347.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 118
  • 20190805_125438.jpg
    20190805_125438.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 105
  • 20190805_123649.jpg
    20190805_123649.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 102
So uhh.... Who wants to yell in excitement with me???

I got this damn motor off the frame. I'm ecstatic!

Now we can get to painting the frame and triple tree!

And words of advice for motor storage/upkeep on a torn down motorcycle?

Also. Please don't kill my excitement. This is the most confidence I've had in myself in my entire life. (Not exaggerating) This bike will be restored to it's former glory. It will run, it will be magnificent.

Attachments

• 20190809_204839.jpg
    20190809_204839.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 139
  • 20190809_220502.jpg
    20190809_220502.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 117
XS650 motors are remarkably tolerant to just sitting forever. As long as rain doesn't enter an intake, they can sit 20 years fire up and run. Never hurts to put a bit of oil in the plug holes, plugs back in loosely, remove them and kick it through now and then.

Last edited:
Motprs are remarkably tolerant to just sitting forever as long as rain doesn't enter an intake, they can sit 20 years fire up and run. Never hurts to put a bit of oil in the plug holes, plugs back in loosely, remove them and kick it through now and then.
My biggest concern is: should I drain the oil, or leave it full?

Uhhh.... what gggGary said. Oil in, level(ish), intakes and exhausts plugged (check!). The only other thing, maybe, is to put it in, or under, a garbage bag (IT'S NOT GARBAGE!!!) to keep moisture and dust off it, while you do the work to the rest of the bike. And, yeah, turn it (with the kicker lever) once in a while to make sure things keep moving. That way, the valves won't stick, and (hopefully) you won't get "ring around the cylinder" from the pistons being in the same spot all the time... You are in the same boat I am with "The Basketcase". All apart, motor out, torn down to the bone... But I doubt if yours is in as bad a shape as what I started with. It's taken me a year and a half to get where I am, but it's a spare-time kinda thing. I'm in no hurry, and you shouldn't be either. Take your time and do it right, and before you know it, you'll have the envy of the riding community! :rock:

I'll probably buy the motor stand from TC bros. Unless it's a waste of money.. I just feel like I kinda want something that's really gonna hold it to my table which I'll be building hopefully tomorrow.

I appreciate all the kind words guys. Means a lot to me.

I'm also going to invest in a bench vise. It will come in handy when it comes time to finally tear her down. Going to be cleaning all the parts of the frame and sandblasting them asap. The frame itself needs to be sent somewhere. But I'll cross that bridge later. It's funny to me that my entire motorcycle is currently in the bottom drawer of my tool box. Aside from the really big bits of course.

Yes, the TC Bros stand is a total waste of money in my opinion. Someone gave me one and it's a total piece of junk compared to the little angle iron ones I make up myself. It's ill-fitting and hard to fit. It does work once you get it on there, but be prepared to do some swearing in the process, lol.

I have an old HF bench vice that I just love. They still sell it but it's much cheaper made and lighter than it used to be, and it costs about twice as much now, lol. I can't recommend that new version. Look through Craigslist, maybe you stumble upon an old version. The nice thing about this HF vice is it rotates around and has V shaped jaws on the bottom for clamping pipe .....

oWT67G7.jpg

ZIsHzwc.jpg

Making an Engine “handle” to easily move an engine stripped down and keep it supported is necessary.
After searching threads I’ve yet to find one made from a XS frame ?
Seems a XS frame cut up would be a logical base for a engine stand.
Now after trips to both WA state & OR state Motor Vehicles depts to attempt a lost title fix, my extra 81 frame is most likely to become an Engine stand/ engine “handle”..

Back