Yam_Tech314's official build thread

Yes, I guess that's possible. But you don't want those arms shimmed up too tightly, they have to move very freely. As I said, usually there's just one spring washer under the arm, that's all. I don't know where one would get 5 more of those washers, they're a rather oddball and special part. Originals would be black, not silver, and a very thin wave washer. If a P.O. added plain washers, you should be able to tell them apart from the originals pretty easily.

This might be the way "you" do it, Jim, but it should be the way more people do their rebuilds, if they want to ride them into the future. That article(s) is so comprehensive, if everybody did that, when their bikes started getting "tired", they'd run forever! :thumbsup:

Quick question Y'all. Why does my motor move in one direction, but not the other? Is that normal?

It's IN neutral, so the output sprocket moves freely, but the crank, only so far in one direction, and moves freely in the other. Am I just being an absolute moron?

Quick question Y'all. Why does my motor move in one direction, but not the other? Is that normal?

It's IN neutral, so the output sprocket moves freely, but the crank, only so far in one direction, and moves freely in the other. Am I just being an absolute moron?
Kickstarter engaged?

Good question. How will I know? I took the kick pedal off to gimme room to work. How do I disengage it?
Not sure. It shouldn't engage unless the pedal is depressed. It didn't pop loose while you pulled the cover off did it?

Not sure. It shouldn't engage unless the pedal is depressed. It didn't pop loose while you pulled the cover off did it?

I figured it out... Turned the motor over while also taking load off the lever with a rag, and pliers. Got it to disengage completely. Good call on the kickstart lever. Got my motor freed up, and also crushed the living f@$&! Out of my finger... I don't know how "squishy" everyone else's fingers are, but mine aren't exactly malleable. What do we think? Broken? Bruised? Both? Lol.

It might be fair to mention that my finger (while gripping the clutch basket) went the whole way through after getting caught between the basket and the nut.
This sucked...

Attachments

• 20191010_222934.jpg
    20191010_222934.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 193
  • 20191010_222934.jpg
    20191010_222934.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 128
  • 15707615734653948938951416218431.jpg
    15707615734653948938951416218431.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 172
also crushed the living f@$&! Out of my finger... I don't know how "squishy" everyone else's fingers are, but mine aren't exactly malleable. What do we think? Broken? Bruised? Both? Lol.
As someone who spent my life as a mechanic, all I got is.... suck it up kid. ;) You're going down the road to becoming a competent mechanic... it's got it's bumps. :D

As someone who spent my life as a mechanic, all I got is.... suck it up kid. ;) You're going down the road to becoming a competent mechanic... it's got it's bumps. :D
Oh, I'm no stranger to pain or broken bones, just sharing what happened and how.

It doesn't ever seem to hurt any less though!!!

Although, I was kiiinda being a lil' bitch... I got over it.

How does that saying go?
"Into everyone's life, some pain must fall..." Nah. That's not right. :doh:
Look on the bright side. It's still there. Coulda been worse. Much worse.
That nail might be black for a while, before it grows out...
I just had a drill bit catch on a piece I was working on. It ripped the drill vise right out of my hand. :yikes: Wanged the s#!& outa the web of my left hand, between thumb & index finger. Looks awful, but it'll grow back... :shrug:

Annual Knuckle Buster Award.

We actually learned in school "pull, don't push" to avoid punching a solid motor block or bike frame. Needless to say, under supervision of the shop instructor I always listened to the rules.

In my own garage, I learn the hard way.

Ironically enough, I just realized that I had my safety glasses on at the time...

We actually learned in school "pull, don't push" to avoid punching a solid motor block or bike frame.
Push or pull is an evaluation of the situation thing. A troop I had in the AF "pulled" a set of needle nose pliers into his nostril so hard we had to take him to the hospital. Learn when to push and when to pull. Think before acting.
Ironically enough, I just realized that I had my safety glasses on at the time...
254___thumbs-up-emoji.png

I always try to clean off the workbench and put all the tools away before going to sleep. It makes my next job so much easier, and keeps me motivated to make progress. I never leave myself a pile of tools to play with before wrenching if I can help it...

We actually learned in school "pull, don't push" to avoid punching a solid motor block or bike frame. Needless to say, under supervision of the shop instructor I always listened to the rules.

In my own garage, I learn the hard way.

You have a very organised and methodical approach so this rebuild will go well.

Some folk mess up because if something is stuck they rush in, apply mindless force and break something or hurt themself.

I'm not a mechanic but I've come to realise that when you meet a problem, it helps to go and make a cuppa, come back, have a look and a think. Is there something you missed? Is there another approach? Do you need a special tool? And only then apply mindless force, break something and hurt yourself . . .

And only then apply mindless force, break something and hurt yourself . .

I enjoy your break down of my posts. Reading everyone's thoughts is cool. I guess I should be more clear. I didn't get hurt by applying a tremendous amount of force. I rubber-banded my conrods to keep em' straight, and that added resistance to the spinning of the clutch basket, well the child in me really wanted to spin the motor and play pretend, I safely disengaged the Kickstarter gear, and was spinning the motor freely in both directions. It's only when I went for the spin of the clutch basket that things went wrong. I wanted three or four good rotations in each direction, and I grabbed just deep enough on the clutch basket to interfere with the bolt that had it out for my poor middle finger.

I guess you could call it a moderate amount of force... But it was rotational force, not a push pull. Still, a few moments of adult thinking, and I'd probably not be in so much pain this morning haha

While not a lot of force, it was still reckless, and mindless.

Back