1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Yam_Tech314's official build thread

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by G_YamTech_314, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Team Junk

Team Junk XS650 Junkie XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

+1

2. Raymondo

Raymondo XS650 rider, fettler, setting out on a journey XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

In case anyone doesn't know, Ikons are the "new" Konis after the original company stopped making motorcycle parts at the start of this century. Fully agree with Machine's recommendation - I had Koni Dial-a-rides on my Kawasaki Z1.

3. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru Top Contributor

Yes, Ikon is the "new" Koni. Apparently they bought all of Koni's motorcycle shock making stuff when they quit doing bike shocks and continued making them. They haven't even changed many of the part numbers. If you can find them, the offset bottom eye model works well. It gives better/more chain guard clearance .....

[​IMG]

The above are 7610-1429 Konis, still available with the same part number from Ikon.

Raymondo, Bewarethemoon and gggGary like this.
  4. Machine

Machine Race the wind Top Contributor

Yamtech is also needing a custom application here as he is looking for longer than stock shocks because of the 16" rear wheel mod. He needs a shock length recommendation too.

G_YamTech_314 and Bewarethemoon like this.
  5. 5twins

Bewarethemoon and Machine like this.
  6. Thank you for mentioning that. I don't know how many of you know, but this is my FIRST EVER motorcycle restoration/custom mod.

I've got experience with some stuff, such as cosmetic stuff, and bolt ons. But this is the whole shabang.

I'm more than excited to see how the stance of this bike is going to pan out.

Raymondo likes this.
  7. Does anybody know off the top of their head if the spacers for rear disc mags are different than rear drum spoke wheels? It's another oversight I had when switching to mags. Any info would help a ton. Or does the rear caliper mount act as a spacer?

Jim likes this.
  8. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge, is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Yes.

G_YamTech_314 likes this.
  9. Painting that rear mount now... If I don't do it now, I'll mock up, and not wanna mock down.

I know I'll have to anyways. But I find this less enjoyable. It's as boring as watching paint dry :doh:

Attached Files:

Jim and Bewarethemoon like this.
  10. Did some much needed polishing on the front end to get set up for my mock up...

Man... I can't stop looking at how shiny it is!!!

Once I polish the other one, I'll be good to finish mocking up the chassis and moving forward on the build... Sorry it's been such a slow process. I'm sure you all know that some of the stuff takes time.

Especially with Pennsylvania having such cold weather lately.

Attached Files:

11. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge, is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Looks good!! Careful... polishing is addicting.
    'Afore you know it, you'll be going to Polishers Anonymous every Wed. night. ;)

12. Oh don't I know it. I can't stop looking at it. I can't wait to just get to polishing the other fork. BUT time is the issue. I'm helping a friend right now with moving so my time has been used up with that.

It's coming along slowly. But boy do I have shiny bits on my mind!

13. 5twins

If the bug really bites, you'll be like me, polishing stainless bolt heads, lol .....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Little details like this really stand out though in my opinion.

[​IMG]

14. Raymondo

Raymondo XS650 rider, fettler, setting out on a journey XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Why are you apologising? It's your bike and fixing it up ain't a race. If the weather in Pennsylvania is cold you probably wouldn't want to be out riding anyway. You just do little jobs when you have the time/money/inclination and it will all come together some day. Focus on that feeling when you get to ride the bike - the sense of involvement with a bike you built yourself, you will grin like an idiot. Guaranteed.

Mailman, Jim, gggGary and 4 others like this.
  15. 59Tebo

59Tebo 59Tebo Top Contributor

...bugs in your teeth grin...:laugh:

Jim, G_YamTech_314, gggGary and 2 others like this.
  16. Okay, so I know the rear caliper mount is acting as a spacer, but how do I connect it to the motorcycle? I'm having a brain fart here... I'm being beaten by a small piece of metal.

Do I need to actually connect the rear caliper to the mount in order for me to connect it to the swingarm?

Jim likes this.
  17. Jim

There's a brake stay that attaches to the swingarm and the caliper mount bracket. I thought I sent that along with the swingarm?

Untitled.png

18. Yepp. Took a walk through my thread and found some stuff you posted to try and help me figure it out but that pic is even better!

I got the brake stay out and have it with the rest of the parts now. I wonder what hardware I have for it laying around tho...

gggGary and Jim like this.
  19. I'm also trying to figure out if I need different wheel spacers in the rear... I looked through the tech section and found an article about the differences in axle length with various years of the XS. I believe I'll need different wheel spacers for the newly added mag wheel with rear disc...

Machine and Jim like this.
  20. Jim

Those are shouldered bolts. You prolly won't have them laying around.... unless I sent them also? Can't remember.