Yam_Tech314's official build thread

On a side note, I made the mistake of using steel wool on the forks to try and remove stubborn oxidation. Rather than 1,000 grit I then used 180 grit to try and rough it up for a good polish. The parts that were missed by the steel wool polished out alright, but in comparison I really put some gouges in the metal...

Steel wool on aluminum is another problem. You've introduced steel to the aluminum and that will set up galvanic corrosion. Sand those scratches out and get the steel out with it. Aluminum wool next time.

I am officially onto the next step

Running a full frame and chassis mock up at this point in time.

The rear suspension is quite a bit too short, as you all have mentioned. That's one of the first issues I'll need to address. That's a hard thing to do without tires being on the thing, looking more and more like a bike every time I work on it.

Would anyone recommend I actually purchase tires before I buy shocks for the rear? Would that be a waste of money?

I need some help here with advice on what to do next. (I'm thinking seat pan resto so I can start making the custom seat)

Thanks Jim for the wheel spacers. Fits perfectly, and really tied in the back wheel assembly.

Attachments

• 20200306_163344.jpg
    20200306_163344.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 144
  • 15835310027102667384876495989421.jpg
    15835310027102667384876495989421.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 165
  • 15835310267266679513620685577617.jpg
    15835310267266679513620685577617.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 139
  • 15835310656594390520591485611886.jpg
    15835310656594390520591485611886.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 131
I would decide on tires and get them on it. Makes the bike much easier to move around. Plus the tires will help you decide on shocks. Also helps make it look more like a bike.:rock:
Keep in mind the tires have a 5 year expiration time. :cool:

But will she let you bake parts in the oven?

I haven't tried... But it probably would be something she lets me do once we aren't renting.

If that's your living room.... well, all I can say is your girl's a keeper. :D

It is, when I moved it to the garage lastnight I asked her how she felt about the bike finally being out of the house, she said "it doesn't bother me one bit, you live here too!"

Tossing some ideas around here...

Off the top of everyone's head, what's a good tire size to run on a 16" rear and a 19" front?

Seeing how it stands with rubber would probably help a ton with figuring out which rear shocks I'd want...

That being said.... Is that REALLY what I should be focused on at this point? I got the body work done on the tank and have it mocked up and looking alright stance wise... But what is a safe ride height? What angle would I wanna sit at? Should I worry about getting the motor done first so that I see what the chain angle looks like? My oh my what about the brakes? I have a new front and rear master cylinder for this thing, and both can be bolted right on... All I need are fittings for the brake lines and they'd actually function... I could spend a little money on a piston for the caliper, and get them painted up... Jeez.

This is a lot to try and figure out without knowing which obstacle to tackle first...

Attachments

• 20200405_152416.jpg
    20200405_152416.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 151
If you are looking for decent performing tires at an affordable price and you're not worried about vintage looks, then I can say I've had a really good experience with Shinko 712's.

If you are looking for decent performing tires at an affordable price and you're not worried about vintage looks, then I can say I've had a really good experience with Shinko 712's.
I just really want the flat cafe look.

Meaning .. I wanna make the rear stand just a bit taller so that the flat frame piece of the seat is perpendicular with the road. For that to happen I'll need a larger tire in the rear and a lower profile front tire to compensate for the extra 3" the front end has over the rear. I know I can get away with putting the forks higher up in the triple trees but I don't want to run the frame too close to the road. This was yet again a huge oversight on my part. Ran into this project as a naive 22 year old graduate thinking he knew it all. I see now that I know very little lol. Any and all recommendations are welcome.

I wouldn't be mismatching tires. Sounds to me like you'd be better off getting different rims if you want the same height on each, or get taller shocks.

I just really want the flat cafe look.

Meaning .. I wanna make the rear stand just a bit taller so that the flat frame piece of the seat is perpendicular with the road.

I know I can get away with putting the forks higher up in the triple trees but I don't want to run the frame too close to the road
Parallel to the road is horizontal.
You can slide the fork tubes up in the triple clamps only a bit. This pic shows about the maximum.
20200406_040226.jpg

You need to remember or re-look the plenty of prior shock length recommendations and how that affects the chain clearances in combination with a smaller rear sprocket now even more likely needed with the 16" rear wheel choice. You've gone far in this mod direction even choosing a rear disc master cylinder mount on the frame and rear disc wheel.
Since your project is indoors and clean, I would continue with that, what has been discussed prior.
A 130/90-16 is about as big as it gets but.. there is that 5.0-16 Shinko option? Remember that?
A very tall tire for a 16" Google that up. But, with tall shocks and a Shinko 5.0-16 I dont think the centerstand will be tall enough to get the rear tire off the ground. It would be real close. It is what it is now.

I'm running a 32T rear sprocket and I think 14 front? Whatever the stock sizes are is what I went with if I remember correctly. Would I NEED. A smaller sprocket if I raise the ass end?

You need to remember or re-look the plenty of prior shock length recommendations and how that affects the chain clearances in combination with a smaller rear sprocket

Also, yeah Parallel... Not perpendicular. Idk what I was thinking. Wheelies maybe? Lol

As far as the rear tire size affecting center stand performance, if I run into that issue I'll simply put a side stand on and call it a day. I have a jack for the bike so it's no biggie there.

I have committed to so much already, that it is what it is, just like you said.

If I ran a 5.0 16 in the rear I'm not sure I'd need my shocks to be much taller. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I'm about 5'10" so the need for a lower ride is front and center. I'm going to lower the front end by raising the forks in the tree as far as possible. If anyone is willing to measure their fork height that would be great.

I'll be committing to a tire size today, and ordering them with the approval of my other half (given that I'm currently on unemployment from the COVID crap fest.)

I appreciate any and all advice guys. I'd be lost without it!

17-34 are stock sprocket sizes but a 32 on a 16" wheel is good. If you're looking to lower the bike, why put a tall tire on the rear? Just use the stock 130 size.

So if I run a Shink 712 130/90 16 on the rear, should I run a 100/90 18 on the front? When I look online that looks to be the match for it.

(Can you tell I've never purchased a set of motorcycle tires before?) Makes me feel REALLY inexperienced.

Back