Yam_Tech314's official build thread

I don't even wanna bother with oil. I'm already tossing around the idea of replacing the whole crank.

Is a rephase in my future after all? Probably not... But now it's time for some thinking... Good thing there's a stimulus check with my name on it somewhere...

I don't even wanna bother with oil. I'm already tossing around the idea of replacing the whole crank. Is a rephase in my future after all? Probably not... But now it's time for some thinking... Good thing there's a stimulus check with my name on it somewhere...

Hmm. One thing at a time. When I bought my XS, people started telling me 'You want to get that re-phased, you do! You rebuild the crank, the bike becomes much smoother, and more powerful.' But I've done some reading on here and other places and it's not quite so clear-cut. Seems a re-phase moves the vibration to a higher rev range. And it doesn't really give you any more power. Might change the feel of the engine in a way that makes it more, bland?

Of course, it's entirely up to you but as you haven't done many miles on the XS I'd suggest riding it complete with the factory-fitted shakes. Then maybe change it later if you really don't like that. Just my 2c as you Americans like to say.

Keeping is stick WOULD save me a literal boatload of work, time, and money.

You make a great point about seat time on a stick bike. If I want fast why not buy fast from the store? I should preserve this piece and keep the crank stock. It would likely be over $1000 in getting a rephased system after I worry about ignition parts, labor, and shipping.

A stock crank is what? $200 for a good one? I just don't wanna buy a crank with the same issue...

Then there's the rebuild option, but how do you even begin to rebuild this crank? I should invest in all new bearings motor-wide since I'm going through this trouble already...

Got everything laid out lastnight for one final inspection... (Since I didn't do things right the first time)

Found some rust on a gear in the starting gears, and I'm debating doing a rebuild in the bendix gear for the starter and using it sparingly.

The starter o rings are also shot and I couldn't find replacements last time... Going to try again this time around.

I pulled the oil passage plug accidentally when splitting the cases this time around and now I don't know what I should do about it...

A few other odds and ends I wanna work out. Perhaps replacing all circlips I had to remove rather than reusing them. I might want to replace bearings while I'm in here. Just to avoid future issues. Same with actually testing the rotor. It ran when I pulled it... so it shouldn't be an issue but we will see.

I can't help but look at how dirty everything still is in the bottom end so I'm going to do one more solid cleaning on the bottom end and install this crank when it arrives.

This will be the last time I tear this bottom end down. Hopefully ever...

Attachments

• 20210328_114523.jpg
    20210328_114523.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 85
  • 20210328_114534.jpg
    20210328_114534.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 92
  • 20210328_114540.jpg
    20210328_114540.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 87
  • 20210328_000548.jpg
    20210328_000548.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 92
  • 20210328_000557.jpg
    20210328_000557.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Interesting observation.

Thanks, as well, for the compliment. I try very hard now to lay everything out in a sort of "exploded view" this time around I just laid it out based on top to bottom. Top end of motor is going on left, and bottom end parts are staying near the holes I drilled for easier bottom end reassembly

I may just replace that part to prevent that from even being an issue.

This is what mine looks like. I see almost no wear on one side, but a good bit of rounding-off on the other side.

Attachments

• 20210328_191045.jpg
    20210328_191045.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 79
  • 20210328_191056.jpg
    20210328_191056.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 82
Nowhere near as bad as mine was.
It'll probably be fine. Your call...
If it's good for you, it's plenty good enough for me. Although, I'll probably get the lead out a lot on this bike. Probably won't cruise around as much as I hope to. I still think even with my delinquent riding style the bike will keep up. I'm not gonna beat the bike... But it's gonna be a great source of fun for me. If it can survive that, it's good enough for me.

Awesome. I suppose I'd have to sand it flush, so perhaps I can use the plug that's still there, and just slather some JB weld on the outer edges of the plug and groove, and wipe off before it hardens. Even better though, I'd likely be able to fill the hole gently making sure it doesn't fully plug any passages, and scrape the filler flush using a razor blade before it hardens. I'll think it out. My idea of using the plug still would be to ensure I didn't plug the passages.

Well... Fudged my middle back up at work today. Hoping for a quick recovery. If my suspicions are correct it'll be my 2nd herniated disc, at 24yrs old.

The first was when I was 17 or 18. I was in a wake boarding accident.

Today was just from trying to make a living. Lifting aluminum slats for a cattle trailer I was building.

Is this what getting old feels like? Or does it get worse...? My first spinal injury had me in bed for almost 9 months. Hoping this one is better...

2 epidurals down, and maybe more to go but I'm really trying to avoid surgery.

I know this is a build thread, but I feel the need to talk about it a little. Helps me work through it a little...

On a bike related note, what do you guys use to remove Yamabond from the mating surfaces? I'm all outta old fashion goof off in the tin container. Idk if they still make that but it worked wonders on gaskets for me in the past. I'm thinking a razor blade is something to avoid this time around.

Well... Fudged my middle back up at work today. Hoping for a quick recovery. If my suspicions are correct it'll be my 2nd herniated disc, at 24yrs old.

I’m sorry to hear about your back injury. I also damaged my back when I was in my 20’s working as a welder. It is something I’ve struggled with ever since. You will learn to be very protective of it over time. Most of the time I’m ok, but it is very easy to re injure it.

. . . Is this what getting old feels like? Or does it get worse . . .?

Geez, sorry to hear you've crooked your back. But, FWIW, in my late 30's, one day in the office, bent sideways to fetch summat out of a low drawer, pulled a muscle in me back and got 'stuck'. Co-worker - cheerful git (not) - said, that's it, you'll have trouble with your back for the rest of your life now! I hurt my back playing 5-a-side football twenty years ago and it's never been right since that day.

Told him to piss off, it was a pulled muscle and it would be fine. And it was.

As the others advise, look after yourself, avoid lifting XS650 engines (!), chances are you'll be fine. The thing to avoid as you get older, and you're just a young 'un, every time you are sick or have a pain is thinking 'that's it for life now, this is part of getting old.' Nah!

Back