Yam_Tech314's official build thread

Well, congrats. Putting the finishing touches on is always the most exciting part for me. Your timing must be set pretty close or it wouldn't start so readily. But, do check it with a timing light to get it perfect. These bikes like their timing set just right. Like I said, towards the more retarded side of the "range" is best.

@5twins I gotta say, I'm pretty damn proud of myself for doing such a good job on static timing my first try. I'm sure it's not perfect, but it's gotta be close..

As for my excitement, it Is hard to contain, which is why the exhaust wasn't properly installed... I still feel it's better than running no pipes.

I need to work on self control lol I checked to make sure oil was getting to the top end, it is. So that's good news.

I also noticed some smoke and smelled oil after it got warm, but didn't see any leaks or runs. So that's a plus.

Is it normal to smell the oil while the bikes running? I don't have a filter on my oil breathers yet...

@5twins
Is it normal to smell the oil while the bikes running? I don't have a filter on my oil breathers yet...

Well yes, think of all that oil you used to assemble the motor - bores, pistons, rings, etcetera? That's got to be burned off. I expect an engine to run smokey for a wee while after first start up. Good that you checked oil is getting to the top end.

You deserve to feel proud of yourself right now and yes I meant down hill in a good way. As 5T says, the finishing touches should be fun now.

I have some general wiring/instrument questions...

Upon doing some research I see that eBay sells switches for a 1976 that look... Not quite right... I'm not sure what year my ignition switch is from but it DOES have a Yamaha key... That doesn't mean it belongs to MY Yamaha...

This is the switch
16244900673691239591514603908426.jpg
16244900970613177710519689577569.jpg

The 1976 wiring diagram I have shows Red, Brown, Red/Yellow, and Blue coming from the ignition switch. I can only find replacements with a three pin connector. My aftermarket replica wiring harness doesn't have a connector on it to be compatible with that three pin... I'm left trying to figure out what's what here... Can anyone show me a stock 76 ign. Switch, or help me identify the year I have?

Seems the PO just ripped the front end off a special and slapped it on my 76. Switches and all...

What would my best plan of action be to making it work then? I'm wanting to replace them due to poor condition functionally and visually, but Idk which switches would be the best bet...

they are simple to clean up inside but yeah that one's ugly.
The later type three wire prolly make the most sense unless you're after originality.

Last edited:
Thing is the switch mount on the top triple makes using the same an easy job.
(I swapped harness and all) Need to go out there now and find why no power to the TCI fuse/circuit.
Late iggy diagram (1).JPG

Yes, that is a Special ignition switch. Be aware that it's going to turn the tail light on with the key on. The red/yellow on the original is power out to the headlight on-off switch. Not sure you had one of those if the whole front end was Special stuff. But all that red/yellow wire does is branch off the brown, which is power out to all circuits on the bike. So, if you don't have a headlight on-off switch you needn't even connect the red/yellow to anything.

That Mike's switch and your original mount into the stock '76 dash, which you don't have. Unless you round up one of those you may have to stick with the Special switch. It's a stand-alone unit, not mounting into a dash of some sort. My '78 with the dash-mounted switch like Mike's sells .....

GwAr4qF.jpg

..... and my '83 with the stand-alone Special switch like you've got now .....

jz4WxBI.jpg

Sorry to do this to again Jim.............Mikes states they are for a 74-79 standard.............74/75 switches are different to the 76-79. Different profile. Had a 74/75 gauge set someone put a 76-79 switch in and it sticks up higher than the gauge face plate.........does sit in there they aren't the same, the mounts are different to.........

My cousin pointed out to me that the treads on my front wheel are backwards... The Yamaha dealership near me has really gone downhill in the last few years, but I remember them not asking which side the disc went on, and taking over four hours to put rubber on two wheels... anyways... Can I just swap the disc to the other side and turn the wheel around to be the right fit??? Or is there a directional rotation to the rim as well? I looked and didnt see any markings indicating a direction... I'm thinking I can switch the disc over, but I wanted to double check here to see what everyone else thinks.

Back