Yam_Tech314's official build thread

Well, I "worked" my first two days, and it was a blast. I can already tell I'm going to enjoy it. I seem to get along nicely with my boss, and service manager. They're full of knowledge.

In other news, I bought a truck! So I'll be able to take the XS to and from work for extra special attention on the lift, and around the shop for general purposes. Who knows, maybe it'll be my daily to work next spring... After all, I've got all winter to put the final touches on it. I've got shop tools to my advantage. Fork vices, battery load testers, a knowledgeable manager, and nothing but time after my shifts to get it really working nicely. Such an amazing opportunity.

Dont know how it is in the US but here it would be sensitive Using company equipment for own work or projects.
Mostly heard of it when it comes to Computers ..Where loading programs or going to Websites of " Sensitive "
Nature .. Can get you fired directly.if something goes wrong.or the log file shows googling wrong type of websites.
Being new at the job the norm is taking company work home / paperwork doing read up instead of own projects to the shop
I have been at a shop where it was allowed but only at certain hours certain days.
Here it is unheard of that a new employee does it But as I said it can be different and depends on the company and the boss.

Dont know how it is in the US but here it would be sensitive Using company equipment for own work or projects.
Mostly heard of it when it comes to Computers ..Where loading programs or going to Websites of " Sensitive "
Nature .. Can get you fired directly.if something goes wrong.or the log file shows googling wrong type of websites.
Being new at the job the norm is taking company work home / paperwork doing read up instead of own projects to the shop
I have been at a shop where it was allowed but only at certain hours certain days.
Here it is unheard of that a new employee does it But as I said it can be different and depends on the company and the boss.

I was surprised to hear my boss tell me that I was allowed, and encoueaged to bring my stuff in. He told me that as long as it went home at the end of the night or only stayed in the shop when there was room for it or on the weekends that he didn't care if I brought it in. He currently has his personal quads there for me to service. It's exciting because he truly cares about my progress as a tech, and wants me to get my bike done lol.

Well, good for you. And working on an older bike will teach you many skills that are being lost today. Things like setting valves with manual adjusters, setting timing and points. Many new bike shops with new, young techs don't know anything about that stuff, lol.

Well, good for you. And working on an older bike will teach you many skills that are being lost today. Things like setting valves with manual adjusters, setting timing and points. Many new bike shops with new, young techs don't know anything about that stuff, lol.
It's funny you say that, because being 25 in a few days, I know almost NOTHING bout electronic diagnostics. I had to plug a laptop into a few brand new motorcycles and was LOST. Ill get there. The good thing is, I've got time on my side, and an aptitude for both bikes and computers. I just haven't mated the two technologies before. It'll click soon enough.

Never be afraid to say "I need help here." A good boss will be happy to teach you a task... instead of fixing a screwup. If it's a complex task, it's even OK to say "can you run me through this again?"
You might get a crosseyed glance or eyeroll if you ask a third time on the same task though. :rolleyes:
Best of luck!
thumbsup.gif

Never be afraid to say "I need help here." A good boss will be happy to teach you a task... instead of fixing a screwup. If it's a complex task, it's even OK to say "can you run me through this again?"
You might get a crosseyed glance or eyeroll if you ask a third time on the same task though. :rolleyes:
Best of luck! View attachment 199263

Jim, you'd be interested to hear that my service manager is a former airplane salesman. He worked closely with technicians and is teaching me a lot about the world of aviation. He told me techs would mark a tool everytime they used it, and if all the tools didn't have the same number of marks during final inventory that they had to recheck everything once more. He said it also ensured you didn't forget any tools, or leave your socket on a bolt somewhere on the aircraft... I'm sure I butchered that process, but cut me some slack. I'm the new guy! Lol

As a former motorcycle mechanic at an HD dealership and former shop owner operator. If there is one piece of advice I can give you, it’s do not under any circumstances get in debt to to the tool trucks. It’s very tempting to try and keep up with the Jones’s (other techs) when those snap-off, cornhole, crapco trucks come around. Everyone has to have the biggest box and fanciest tools. It’s not worth it… Buy what you truly need and take care of what you have. A good dealership will provide the specialty tools you need. Those trucks will rob you blind, they are not your friends no matter how much they lead to believe they are, they only want your money. Customers DO NOT CARE HOW BIG YOUR BOX IS. They only care if you do a good job. Having said that, the flip side is you cannot make a living with hand tools using Harbor Freight tools. Nothing wrong with good tools from the truck, just don’t end up singing over your paychecks to em. Just buy what you can afford when you can afford it. Congratulations on your new job, it can be a lot of fun, like most things it will be what you make it.

Last edited:
As a former motorcycle mechanic at an HD dealership and former shop owner operator. If there is one piece of advice I can give you, it’s do not under any circumstances get in debt to to the tool trucks. It’s very tempting to try and keep up with the Jones’s (other techs) when those snap-off, cornhole, crapco trucks come around. Everyone has to have the biggest box and fanciest tools. It’s not worth it… Buy what you truly need and take care of what you have. A good dealership will provide the specialty tools you need. Those trucks will rob you blind, they are not your friends no matter how much they lead to believe they are, they only want your money. Customers DO NOT CARE HOW BIG YOUR BOX IS. They only care if you do a good job. Having said that, the flip side is you cannot make a living with hand tools using Harbor Freight tools. Nothing wrong with good tools from the truck, just don’t end up singing over your paychecks to em. Just buy what you can afford when you can afford it.
:agree:
I'm a long time aircraft mechanic. Same story. New AMT's led out to the tool trucks on day one to get buried in debt. I did not fall for it. I went to Sears and bought all required tools. I replaced them as I learned what I liked best and paid cash. Those Craftsman tools recently went to my son-in-law. Now, I need to buy myself a Harley-Davidson to keep all those nice tools working. ;)

4D7E5ABD-4FC5-4616-B949-879443C7D60C.jpeg Yup! What they said! I used to work in a fleet garage for big trucks. The Snap On truck and the Mac Tool truck rolled in there as regular as the snack wagon. Their gimmick was , “ go ahead and take the tool, I’ll put it on your account.” No up front money necessary but easy to go into deep debt. BTW our best mechanics had ratty old Craftsman tool boxes and tools. It was always the young guys that owed the tool man!

The TOOL TRUCK shark jockeys have an easier life now extracting your hard earned money out of your pocket; mobile hand held PDQ credit card processors!
'Just wave your card over this sir Job done!' 'Look at the size of your spanner what a beauty'.......Bastards!!!!!

The TOOL TRUCK shark jockeys have an easier life now extracting your hard earned money out of your pocket; mobile hand held PDQ credit card processors!
'Just wave your card over this sir Job done!' 'Look at the size of your spanner what a beauty'.......Bastards!!!!!
They're struggling to make a living like everyone else. Many of these garage mechanics have no credit. The tool vendor puts purchases on account, taking all risk. These mechanics move on, leaving the tool vendor holding the bag. The rest of us pay for that. Some of them (vendors) move into a great route and get rich. Good for them, I guess. Meanwhile, biz like Harbor Freight getting better stuff all the time. They're taking market share. The technician has to be $$ savvy.

One plus all that's said above. :agree:
Although they're getting hard to come by, local mom and pop tools stores need love too. There's one near me that gets as much of my business as I can give 'em.
Clark's Tool no doubt... I may or may not have spent a dollar or several hundred there, HJ Epstein's is my go to in KC though. That place is mind boggling, a real technicians wet dream:love:

Yeah, Clarks Tool. They have two stores, one on your side of the border and one on mine.
Yep, I've definitely spent more time at the one up north. Its closer to the office. I occasionally hit up the one on down by me when I need abrasive consumables at home.

I have not worked professionally with tools for many years , and the experienced people above know the USA
part ..
But as a side comment Working professionally one needs the proper tools or you cant do a good job.
But having said that a Motorcycle is strictly speaking not so demanding for the tools.
Compared to fex Excavators I have worked a bit on , There a pipe extension of 6 feet could extend the wrench
and you could pull as much you have muscles for. . I once hand tightened the track bolts in that manner for an experiment.
There you need the top grade sockets and spanners wrenches. If not you notice it
But on a motorcycle It is few places where large forces are needed as the sprocket.
Much is aluminum you cant normally tax the tools strength because the bolt break or threads come out.

I also feel that the lower priced Asian tools have gotten better getting 10 years warranty on them for low prices in a historical context
Having said that I feel that there are some tools that can be of the best Quality and kept updated JIS Screwdrivers The most used sockets and wrenches. The ratchets of various sizes and so on. but they are not so expensive all together.
I am not saying what is right or wrong I believe the shop manager can have something to say
But getting into debt to a person in a Tool truck ... Not necessary.

I have not worked professionally with tools for many years , and the experienced people above know the USA
part ..
But as a side comment Working professionally one needs the proper tools or you cant do a good job.
But having said that a Motorcycle is strictly speaking not so demanding for the tools.
Compared to fex Excavators I have worked a bit on , There a pipe extension of 6 feet could extend the wrench
and you could pull as much you have muscles for. . I once hand tightened the track bolts in that manner for an experiment.
There you need the top grade sockets and spanners wrenches. If not you notice it
But on a motorcycle It is few places where large forces are needed as the sprocket.
Much is aluminum you cant normally tax the tools strength because the bolt break or threads come out.

I also feel that the lower priced Asian tools have gotten better getting 10 years warranty on them for low prices in a historical context
Having said that I feel that there are some tools that can be of the best Quality and kept updated JIS Screwdrivers The most used sockets and wrenches. The ratchets of various sizes and so on. but they are not so expensive all together.
I am not saying what is right or wrong I believe the shop manager can have something to say
But getting into debt to a person in a Tool truck ... Not necessary.
Trust me. I'm loaded with high end and very expensive tools. I just didn't buy them all at once and I only bought what I thought I needed. You can't have all the information to make the right choices in the first weeks on the job. Some inexpensive stuff can see you through. We are on the same page.

Back