1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Yam_Tech314's official build thread

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by G_YamTech_314, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Boy, I wish. It's getting hard to keep sitting on just rails.

That's an expensive addition. But it will come in due time.

Jim and MaxPete like this.
  2. TwoManyXS1Bs

TwoManyXS1Bs BBQ Hunter Top Contributor

Each part that's pictured needs replaced?

Jack up the gas cap,
    And roll a new bike under it?

I see no drivechain.

Not being pictured, I guess you don't need one... :D

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    G_YamTech_314, Jim, Mailman and 3 others like this.
  3. 650Skull

650Skull Dinosaur Lives Top Contributor

Gauge cup Dampers............

MaxPete and G_YamTech_314 like this.
  4. Machine

Machine Race the wind Top Contributor

Ok I’m in. Guessing a Voltage regulator and Black Krylon Spray paint cans from the hardware store :) and new grips.. and.. brake pads ?
    Great XS Shop you have going there !

MaxPete, G_YamTech_314 and Jim like this.
  5. Very intuitive on the chain. You're correct. You've come in close 2nd place to Jim and his guess with the handlebars... But that was a gimme...

TwoManyXS1Bs and MaxPete like this.
  6. Grips are correct! The paint can is a funny one... That battery box sure did get corroded. I'll admit, the fault is mine. It wasn't like that when I bought it. I got a new battery, rode the bike, and there was a piece missing... Which is one of the parts I ordered, had I had one... The battery wouldn't have vibrated fluid onto the box as much. (BIG HINT WINK WINK) haha

MaxPete likes this.
  7. Yes, they are needed. No I didn't get that far yet. Good guess!

8. Official question with no smart-assed side comments or undertones... What's the best replacement intake manifold you guys have found?? These look pretty worn. Pulling apart at some seams, and I want to avoid leaks with the airflow as much as possible

Attached Files:

Jim likes this.
  9. Another good question...

And probably a dumb one. But nevertheless. What do these guys connect to?

Attached Files:

Jim, MaxPete and mrtwowheel like this.
  10. Machine

Machine Race the wind Top Contributor

Question for you . Are you going to use the stock air box halves ? Those are breather vents which did have rubber vent tubes attaching to the air box . The tubes are partially restricted and not just full open , by internal rubber “reducers” I guess you could call them.
    -R

Jim, G_YamTech_314 and MaxPete like this.
  11. Jim

Jim I have a plan. It's something to deviate from. Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Got mine from here. They're ARS... the guys who made the originals.

Mailman, G_YamTech_314 and MaxPete like this.
  12. Nope. Gonna go with pods/cone filters.

13. What's with the brass lines though. What're they for exactly??

Jim likes this.
  14. Jim

Jim I have a plan. It's something to deviate from. Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

They're vacuum taps. You just cap 'em if you don't need 'em.

G_YamTech_314 likes this.
  15. Gotcha. Pretty cool.

16. Jim

Not sure what year your bike is. Do some research to make sure they're compatible....

G_YamTech_314 likes this.
  17. It's a 76. Did some research, and apparantly the straight type won't work on my year. Has to be the angled ones for the bs38's.

Also. Just learned how to quote just a part of the messages.... Cool..

Jim, MaxPete and Mailman like this.
  18. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru Top Contributor

The ones Jim linked to won't work for you either. They're for the BS34 carbs and are a different size (diameter). But, do search out ARS brand replacements. As mentioned, they are the original supplier for Yamaha and about the best replacement.

The years listed in Jim's link are incorrect. Those manifolds won't fit the '78 and '79 bikes because they had BS38 carbs. They'll only work for the '80 and newer BS34 equipped bikes.

19. No more guessing needed.
    Some of you guys got a lot of parts right.
    Ordered from tcbros was the chain, sprockets, handlebars, and battery rubber sleeve. The other part was a brake line, but it's the wrong size so I'll be sending it back.

From hughs handbuilt I bought a new front master cylinder. And boy is it a pretty one. Big difference from the one that was on those buck horns.

In other news, my car threw a timing belt, and I'm pretty sure it destroyed my valve train so it's gonna get junked.

Attached Files:

Mailman and Jim like this.
  20. MaxPete

MaxPete Life with Lucille...I suggest, she decides. Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Geeezzzz....that’s one in the goolies....:cussing:

Jim and G_YamTech_314 like this.