Yamabond?

Just Yamabond is used, there is no gasket between the crankcase halves.

oh ok. havent openned up my gasket set yet, but it said it was complete so I figured there was a crankcase gasket also. Is there a good alternative to yamabond in an auto parts store?

Holimar is pretty good stuff. Made under license from Rolls Royce. You can tell your buddies you use Rolls Royce gasket sealer, lol. They'll be impressed.

lol. That would be impressive. Ever used ultra black? Talked to a buddy of mine a bit ago and he said thats good stuff and can be found locally.

Most of what you find in parts stores is for cars. The places on the 650 engine that need a sealer require a better sealer than cars do because most places on cars use gaskets.
On our 650 engines they are a metal to metal fit. No gasket. The Yamabond was specifically designed to seal two stroke cases. I bad seal in a two stroke and it won't run. A bad seal in a four stroke and it just leaks.
Use the right stuff and no leaks.
Most any metric bike shop has their brand of Yamabond. They have it because thats what they use.
Another thing, Yamabond when any excess squeezes out it runs down as a thin layer and dries. This dry layer stays put. Other sealers when they squeeze out form balls and ropes of dry sealer, these can come loose and plug oil passages.
Which would you rather do save a few pennies and rebuild a second time or do it right the first time?
Leo

I bought a tube of Permatex Motoseal 1 at the parts store yesterday, just to see what it was like. On the package it's specifically recommended for motorcycle case halves, small engines, and etc. The picture on the package is a motorcycle. I can't compare it to Yamabond, Hondabond, and etc., because I've never used them. I've read people complaining about the working time for Yamabond, Threebond, and so on and have read that Motoseal 1 has a longer working time. Dried, it reminds me a little bit of the way a latex paint spill dries, although it sticks rather than peeling.

www.permatex.com/documents/tds/automotive/29132.pdf

Threebond 1211 is the stuff you want...I gave up using 1104 (Yamabond) because of its shitty working time - it really is shit IMO, I had it curing before I'd finished applying the stuff to case halfs - not good.
1211 has a longer working time & allows me more time to ensure the job is done properly & not rush trying to assemble before it starts to cure.
I wont use anything else, did use permetex once with disastrous results, the stuff dripped down onto the gearbox after assy & gummed the gears, had to tear down again....

Cheers.

I use Loctite 518 gasket eliminator. Working time is indefinate until you join the parts, then with the lack of oxygen it sets up. I've used it on my aircooled VWs and motorcycles for years, works great.

Back