Yamaha 750 virago

ACiiDBEARD

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi I’m new here and I have an 82 yamaha virago, hope that’s okay in this group since it’s not an XS650. Anyway I’m trying to figure out if anyone knows of any aftermarket parts or if it can be done to build the bike how i envision it, I wanna do a 70’s ish chopper with converted Harley style springer front end, diamond tank, jockey suicide shifter, king and queen seat and a 3ft twisted steal sissy bar. I’ve looked around at different part sites and I’m not sure if I can make it work lost of sites say the different kits for the shifter won’t fit. Any and all help is appreciated and welcome.

Shaft drive chopper.... I rode a 750 Virago a few times.. very smooth shifting bike.. slight pogo effect from the shaft....
to make this happen.. you'll need to have a good machinist.... I can't think of any direct parts for tis type of project.... they'll have to modified.... forward controls.... exhaust clearance issues..... With time and $$$$ it can be done.

The Viragos are becoming more popular as "build platforms" But not sure where best to find info on them. Only been into one enough to rebuild the carbs and starter, ride it out of the shop, that was 5-10 years ago.

Starters always a issue... some guys take stainless sheet.. with brackets and build a heat shield mounted in front of the starter.. I'm told it works... keeps heat from the header off the starter....

Also thanks to everyone else who’s commented yeah I figured enough time and money can make anything happen just wasn’t sure what the best option to take on how to make parts work.

Why not chop a later model Virago ? Those early monoshock ones are pretty unique and cool even bone stock. The later twin shock versions have a way less coherent design, I guess Yamaha tried to make it look more like a HD.
I think the early Virago 750, and the early Suzuki Intruder 750 were the best looking Japanese V-twin factory customs. Both had a tight, clean design. Since then, it has gone pretty much downhill IMHO.

Last edited:
Why not chop a later model Virago ? Those early monoshock ones are pretty unique and cool even bone stock. The later twin shock versions have a way less coherent design, I guess Yamaha tried to make it look more like a HD.
Imho, the early Virago 750, and the early Suzuki Intruder 750 were the best looking Japanese V-twin factory customs. Both had a tight, clean design. Since then, it has gone pretty much downhill IMHO.

I’ve had the bike for a few years but I’m more of a Harley guy so this is kinda new to me, didn’t know these were more of a unique bike since I’ve seen them going pretty cheap on eBay. Well the reason why is I would tho is cuz it was a project me and my best friend were planing and since he’s no longer with us I wanted to get the build done for him.

I don’t think a Virago is particularly collectible. Hageman has put it on the map. It was a really great bike. That monoshock was something new back in the day. As I remember, that 750 went like stink! Do something cool with it.

I don’t think a Virago is particularly collectible. Hageman has put it on the map. It was a really great bike. That monoshock was something new back in the day. As I remember, that 750 went like stink! Do something cool with it.

I didn’t think it was very collectable when I got mine it was 200 dollars and only had 23 miles on the odometer. Well when I was looking the highest I saw them was 750 and a 920 with full luggage for 1k, that was like 7 years ago and even now hasn’t seem like the price changed much.

For sure it would have been faster, lighter and better handling than the later twin shock/ shotgun piped/ rocking chair/ kitchy versions of the Viragos (the 250 and 535 being the honorable exceptions)
The original Virago 750 was designed from scratch, and was modern, fairly fast, and the first japanese V-Twin custom. Before they came out, custom style bikes were based on existing vertical twins, triples and fours with just cosmetic mods, like Yamaha Specials, Kawasaki LTDs, Suzuki Low Slingers and Honda CB-C models.Sort of sad that the market does not recognize what a shift in the cruiser bike marketplace it actually was. Cycle Magazine, and CW were really positive about it in the first published tests.

I even remember the first time I saw one on the street. The owner was a chick in her mid 20's, long black hair, open face helmet, red lipstick, perforated leather car driving gloves, red fingernails, and a small handbag dangling from the bars. Made a lasting impression on me, I guess. Both the chick and the bike. She still rides now, I believe. Either Indian or HD, even as she is approaching 60!

If I had been a cruiser oriented rider, an early Virago in stock condition would be high on my shopping list!

Back