Yamaha Motorcycles - History (From 1955)

Jim

Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Bored last night and searching Youtube for something interesting to watch. Found this history of Yamaha motorcycles interesting. Here's a few screen grabs of some of the concept bikes that never were. They're very.... um.... interesting. :er:
Kinda gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "blow it out your arse." :D

yamaha screen grab1.png

yamaha screen grab2.png

... and here's the video.

Just watched. Worth the time. Wished they had spent more time on the early bikes. Seemed like a R1/R6 commercial.
I will say watching the bikes go through the "corkscrew" made my nuts tighten up a bit. I'm not sure but I think my XS2 flinched a few times.

All my favorite bikes are Yamahas! My first one was in high school...('88-'91), a French Blue, bone stock RD400! Crazy to think it was less than 20 year old!
Oh I loved that bike. I loved the look of XSs too. I was at a cross road...and I was seduced by the sight, sound, lightness and smell of the 2 stroke path, went on to have several more RDs, 350's, 400's and even a little purple and white 200cc CS-5. The best was a Canadian grey market RD350LC. That thing was so sweet. My '89 FZR 600 was the first "modern" bike I ever owned. My FZR 1000 was a monster! One of my current hobbies is Vintage MX (on a Honda sadly) and it's pretty obvious which bike was the dominator back in the day...all the fast guys still ride Yamahas!
I always had a pull toward the XS tho...And now I got one,
It's all apart currently, as I start to put the engine back together I'll post more pics and a build thread. Great video on the history of a great brand!

Back