Yamaha part number break down

Cribby

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Ok, so I know this has been discussed before but I still can't find what I'm looking for

There are so many original bolts for my bikes that I cannot get that I'm going to follow someone else's lead on here and modify normal metric bolts to suit. My question is that I can work my way through the Yamaha bolt part numbering system to see type of bolt, diameter and length but I can't see any list to specify the coating used, i.e. the second and third digit of he part number

Anyone with any ideas please?

Ant

Hey, Ant.
This is all I've got...

Yamaha-PartCoding.jpg

yamaha parts codes.jpg

THIS IS EXCELLENT INFORMATION - thanks so much for sharing it Steve!

I can contribute that if you go to Partzilla.com or even just use your google search window and type in the full Yamaha part number (only the number - no words or other description), you will often get the full description and sometimes even find someone who has a part to sell.

Pete

Note: On model code - Every time Yamaha uses a part ( the same part ) on a different bike
they give the item a new part number . One part can end up with 50-60 different numbers.
Yamaha is very secretive about their numbers and seldom gives a cross reference. Also prices
are substantially lowered when they no longer make the part ( this is to discourage the aftermarket
from making it as it appears that it's no longer profitable to make ). I have a price list that gives superceed
numbers - They only did this once . How do I know - ? I used to buy a new price list every year along
with a complete set of microfiche. Sometimes a superceed is shown on the microfiche or parts book.
No other Japanese bike maker hides the information like Yamaha.

Note: On model code - Every time Yamaha uses a part ( the same part ) on a different bike
they give the item a new part number . One part can end up with 50-60 different numbers.
While I've no doubt that Yamaha "sometimes" did that, I don't think the blanket "every time" is valid. For instance, this bolt.... 91317-06040-00 was used on at least 30 different models (I quit counting at 30)... prolly over 100 different models from 1970 up thru 2008.

Untitled.png

As are he ones i posted, all 1980 part no's.........one has the same part no, up to 2018.

But that's not to say they don't get it wrong either, especially around the 72-74 era.

but what would i know i havent been in the parts business for 40 years, so take any info i post with a grain of salt

Back