Yamaha XS 650H - Bike stalls when releasing clutch slowly?

hey guys, so I got my motor to idle the other day after rebuild of motor-I put pc. ot wood under frame to lift rear tire squeeze clutch lever in drop into 1st tire starts spinning before I release lever, now take wood out put into gear and it stalls out - when on the block I can't stop tire with my hand trying to produce a load- timing is almost dead on- i don't have a tach but by ear sounds like 1100-1300 rpm-where should I start to diagnose problem

Try working the throttle against the rear brake. Some times the clutch disks can be bit "sticky" after sitting unused for a while. Have you set the clutch free play properly? Watch the action at the side cover full range of rotation and visible in and out movement?

Try working the throttle against the rear brake. Some times the clutch disks can be bit "sticky" after sitting unused for a while. Have you set the clutch free play properly? Watch the action at the side cover full range of rotation and visible in and out movement?
so from the adj. side I can see the adj. nut move probably about 1/8"- I mic'd all disc before I reinstalled measured good- also mic'd springs all good these are the only parts I didn't replace with new ones- 1pc. rod upgrade-

When I got my '76 Standard 18 months ago (the infamous Lucille), the clutch was stuck solid as a rock. The clutch lever wouldn't pull in - the whole thing seemed to be simply seized. She had lots of other problems including carbs filled with stuff that looked like yoghurt and coffee grounds, a rusty fuel tank, badly corroded engine cases a toasted electrical system and no front brake functionality - but for some reason, the clutch was actually my major worry.

I looked at all sorts of remedies including putting diesel fuel in the crankcase and even disassembling the whole darned thing, but in the end, I simply lashed the clutch lever to the handlebar with a bungee cord, sat on the seat and rocked the bike back and forth (Fred Flintstone-style) on its wheels and after quite a while (maybe an hour or more), I started to feel a tiny bit of motion. After quite a bit more peddling around the garage, the clutch pretty much freed-up and once I got the engine running, the clutch has totally come back and it now functions perfectly.

Not that it is a particularly difficult or lengthy task, but I have never actually been inside Lucille's RH engine case to this day and now, more than 3600 miles (around 6000 km) later, all is well down there.

Back