Yamaha XS650 Valve Train Geometry

tumblr_ljh0puClWT1qfkt17.gif

Those animations are AWESOME in 3D!

Haha, gggGary, any excuse to nibble popcorn...

The mystery machine is a pivoting/rotating fixture to hold 8mm diameter XS650 parts, for grinding the tips.
The fixture is like a small lathe, with a clamping finger-collet to hold the workpiece.

In the past, I'd rework valve adjuster tips offhand on the lathe, using a dremel and radius gauges.
This time around, I wanted something more precise for this larger radius.

The first item to be reworked is a badly worn/chipped valve adjuster screw.

full

The baseplate for the fixture has a protruding pivot pin.
The pivot pin is set at 19mm (3/4") from the face of the abrasive disc.
Then the baseplate is clamped to the disc sander's table.

full

The grinding fixture can also hold valves with 8mm stems. Here, a junk valve is chucked up, ready for resurfacing. Note the cracked/crazed tip surface.

full

Grinding fixture locked into 90° position. Valve tip slowly fed into grinder.

full

View of ground valve tip.
Only about 0.003"-0.004" removed, saving the stellite surface.

full

After a few seconds at the polishing wheel, the valve can be returned to service...

Here's a resurfacing project on valve and clutch screw adjusters:

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41639

I originally thought that the flat-ball was retained by a crimped edge, similar to the elephants foot retention, but the Kedo flat-ball is retained in the socket by adhesion to the supplied moly grease.

The ball can be rotated in its socket so that a tiny screwdriver can get behind it to pop it out.

The ball is highly polished, and the adjuster screw's pocket is very well machined, smooth, and black oxide plated. There's also a tiny oil reservoir dimple at the base of the ball's pocket

About 1.5mm is ground off the 6mm ball to make the flat face. This means that the ball's rotation center is only 1.5mm above the valve stem end. This should reveal a different 'scrub' distance.

full

The Kedo flat-ball adjuster alongside a stock XS650 adjuster for comparison.
The Kedo adjuster has a hex key pocket, so it doesn't need to be as long, and will be lighter.

full

Did an impromptu lean angle measurement, and found that the Kedo adjuster can be leaned over as much as 30° from vertical. The lean angles of our XS650's adjusters are in the range of +/- 6°, so no concern here about adjuster angles...

Updated the "Sweep and Scrub" spreadsheet to include the Kedo adjusters (at bottom).

The scrub value shown is only 0.73mm (0.029"). But, at the last part of valve travel, the adjuster tip actually goes a little past center, and reverses direction by a tiny amount. So, the 'total' scrub distance will be a little more. Will calculate that later...

full

Hey 2M ---Wow lots of tappet tech info here. I have noticed a machine co on Ebay [smw70ss] in Portland,OR offering a valve tappet re-grinding service, 4 tappets $15, seems pretty cheap. Take a look and let us know if this is any good or just BS. Thanks tm

Hoffman900, you've been "conversationed".

Timbeck! Yes, I saw the eBay listing [smw70ss] some time ago. Don't know anything about what they're doing with tappets, radiusing, hardening, ...etc. They're no strangers to XS650s and machine shop work, so no BS there...

Back