yellow head light

uknowme2goog

XS650,1980, Bobber
Reaction score
I have a 1980 XS650 and want to install a "old school looking" 5 3/4" round yellow head light.
i saw a spray tint to pant mine but rather just get a yellow head light.

Anyone know a vendor that sells them?

Someone told me they are illegal to use in New York?

The federal Department of Transportation, which sets all motor vehicle regulations, requires that all new cars sold in the United States have white headlights. It does not prohibit you from changing them on your own.

Traffic Rules-
Section 4-09
Equiptment: Clause C: (think this is NYC code)
Colored Lights prohibited
No Operator of a motorcycle or motor vehicle other than authorized emergency vehicles, shall operate said vehicles when displaying other than white or yellow lights visible from in front of the vehicle.

So yes they are legal, if a cop stops you ask what statute you are being cited for, if he can't pull up a prohibition against it it's not illegal, they don't get to make up laws as they see fit

I think if you look around you'll have trouble finding yellow bulbs that are listed as DOT compliant. Obviously, there are plenty of folks out there running them, and I'm not weighing in on whether it is strictly legal or not, but since it is a grey area, it is just one more thing that a cop can use as an excuse if they feel like pulling you over.

Up to you whether the potential hassle is worth it.

There is a product called Lamin-x. It is a thick plastic film that is used to protect/tint your headlights. I used it on all my trucks, It can be custom cut by them or bought as a sheet and you can cut it yourself.

I attached a picture of the Gunsmoke installed on my truck. It is really some quality stuff.

I have been pulled over multiple times for the tinted headlights....all by the same cop....and each time except the last he allowed me to simply pull it off and drive away ticket free. If I were you I would buy some and install it on the inside of the headlight so no cop can call it a "cover" like they did to me. I will note my buddy had the blue on his beams and yellow on his fogs and never got hassled for it once.

Here is the link to the page you can purchase a sheet from.

http://www.lamin-x.com/One-Universal-7x8-Fog-Cover-p/1-78.htm

Hope this helps

Attachments

• 38368_10150226505070113_7876234_n.jpg
    38368_10150226505070113_7876234_n.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 94
hey guys thanks for the comments. I will look into the film/tint paper. Does anyone have a picture of a before n after?? how hard to install this? I spoke to Dime city about the spray.... i am worried about chipping and i have to keep painting the headlight. I am really just looking to replace my stock 5 3/4" round glass clear head light bulb with a 5 3/4" round glass yellow head hight bulb.

Back