Yet Another Hardtail Project

NoValidTitle

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Well I figured I would start a thread for the actual build.

I'm not aiming for anything fancy. Don't expect this to be a very unique build either. :laugh: This is my first time doing anything like this and I'm just going for a look I like and that look just so happens to be a very common look that has caused some controversy here recently haha. The good old TC Bros hardtail with a sporty tank look. It's a look I like. :bike:

Plans:
Pamco high power ignition
Internal throttle
21" spoked front rim
White walls front and back
Black 2 under springer front end
Sportster tank
Red Tail Leather seat
Making my own wiring harness from scratch
No front fender
Forward controls
frame, tank and rear fender will be flat black

That covers most of my planning thus far, there are lots of little things I will need to figure out along the way which should be fun.

She started out as a 79 Special with 20k miles. So far I've got the initial disassembly done and I took the reciprocating saw to the back end of the frame, I need to do some planning and figure out what little brackets and stuff on the front half can be hacked off. I might go talk to a welder in a few days about putting the tail on. In the mean time I have some serious cleanup to do with the engine. The spark plug hole on the left side of the head needs to be tapped. The motor seems to leak some oil down low so I have lots of cleaning to do.

I think that's it for now. Here is a flood of my current pictures that were in my old questions thread, most of them anyway.

4467437493_a569c51a42_b.jpg

4469053322_f1fb2b9658_b.jpg

4468277909_ebf67d0040_b.jpg

4474753053_05c494c304_b.jpg

4477904986_8459fe181b_b.jpg

4479928545_fba1ca782f_b.jpg

4479929087_92933c3525_b.jpg

4479929233_5c58991911_b.jpg

You should just buy my bike! You just described it to the T except I have a black la Rosa seat!

Good plans. What did you end up doing about the stripped out plug hole? I don't remember reading your solution. One word of caution: be absolutely certain that the dimensions on the weld on 'tail are perfect. Otherwise, you will end up 'dog legging' down the road. Nice project, though. I like someone who shows us that he's got a pair, & not afraid to jump into a project like that. In other words, great work!!~!:thumbsup::D:) I presume that an internal throttle is with the cable inside the bars, correct? Cool.

Good plans. What did you end up doing about the stripped out plug hole? I don't remember reading your solution. One word of caution: be absolutely certain that the dimensions on the weld on 'tail are perfect. Otherwise, you will end up 'dog legging' down the road. Nice project, though. I like someone who shows us that he's got a pair, & not afraid to jump into a project like that. In other words, great work!!~!:thumbsup::D:) I presume that an internal throttle is with the cable inside the bars, correct? Cool.

Thanks. I haven't done anything with the plug hole yet but I plan on hitting the threads with a small wire brush once I bull the head off to do gaskets then inspect the threads and probably run a tap from the inside out. Yeah the one shop I'm looking at having doing the welding builds bikes from scratch and has the jigs and such to get this kind of thing done right so I really hope it comes out square haha. Yeah internal throttle is with the cable inside the bars, I love the look of that.

- carefully grind the welds out with the flat of the disc-take the high spots along the edge of the plate first to expose the weld...the strip down the middle and the 2 short ones each side...take your time, theres no rush

- thats a different question altogether:D...there are plenty of frame shots here in the forum...have a cruise through and see what people have been doing :bike:

- carefully grind the welds out with the flat of the disc-take the high spots along the edge of the plate first to expose the weld...the strip down the middle and the 2 short ones each side...take your time, theres no rush

Sweet thanks, that helps a lot.

i left it on, but don't know jet how i'm gonna clean it up for the looks.
my thought was: more material to weld to.
but he, what do i know (lol)

Hmmm I'm sitting here at work and just noticed in that picture that it looks like I knicked the backbone when I cut the back of the frame off.

if that s a tc hardtail your suppose to leave it on the back bone same with the g&l. at that point theres no slugs to put in the frame. that plate gives you a nice solid place to burn in the 1 1/8 tubing from the tail.

as for the pics i dont have any on this computer but if you want i can send you one in a text if you give me a number.

Interesting, I was under the impression that it should come off. I guess I could just leave it on and let the welder decide.

Just PMed you my number.

*edit* here is the pic. Very much the look I'm going for, I love it...

4484470638_8464093ca5_b.jpg

Last edited:
So I just had my first run in with some HD elitists...

In looking for a local bike shop that does welding I contacted a place that's only about 1/4 of a mile from my house about it. http://www.throttle-city.com/

I said to the guy "Hey I'm trying to find out if you guys do frame welding, I'm looking to have a hardball welded on a frame I have." He says "oh we have a fabricator do that kind of stuff for us but what do you need? Do you have an old iron head sportster or something?" So I say "Nah I have a 79 Yamaha..." and he cuts me off right there and gets pissy "nope can't help ya."

So I hang up the phone and take a ride to a shop a few miles away to talk to them. It was a much better experience at that place. I mentioned that I talked to throttle city and as I was saying that the guy started to smile and asked me "did he tell you to fuck off?" I thought that was pretty funny. None the less they have a guy who does frames and said it will run around $75 give or take to have the tail welded on, assuming I do the prep work. He's going to talk to the welder and give me a call tomorrow. :thumbsup:

Ha, I had the same problem here. Went into a shop(not a harley dealer, but all they had were harleys) with my springer forks to get the wheel spaced. Start to ask the guy to fit the springer to the yamaha steering head, he tells me can't be done, won't fit right. So I found a guy that works behind a biker bar. Man what a difference, doesn't care what you ride, just that you ride. This guy can make whatever you need. Now he's the only guy I go to. And on the plus side, I don't feel talked down to.

Back