Yet Another Hardtail Project

Ha, I had the same problem here. Went into a shop(not a harley dealer, but all they had were harleys) with my springer forks to get the wheel spaced. Start to ask the guy to fit the springer to the yamaha steering head, he tells me can't be done, won't fit right. So I found a guy that works behind a biker bar. Man what a difference, doesn't care what you ride, just that you ride. This guy can make whatever you need. Now he's the only guy I go to. And on the plus side, I don't feel talked down to.

Gotta love ignorant people. :-\

I heard back from the shop today, he talked to the welder and said it would run about $150, he forgot to ask if I should take the plate off of the backbone. From what I can tell most people seem to take it off, is that true?

I left mine on, but first welded on all the way around. I also machined a 1-1/8 piece to go around the slug at the down tube so it's the same diameter all the way down.

Tech, I should have done the same in hindsight, but maybe I will in the future. The frame is just rattle can paint anyhow, but right now I'm focusing on getting this damned thing running.

If I didn't want to build my own I would seriously consider it haha.

I thought you wanted to build one so why waste the money on having someone weld it for you? a welder is a great investment and one of the most useful tools in building a bike. I would save the 150 (which i think will turn into more money in the end) and search craigslist for a good 110 welder and pratice and do your tail. just a thought tho

it doesnt have to be 1 1/8 to pratice on just as long as its the same wall thickness. i go to the industrial part of town and buy drops (left over peices from projects)from them all the time. it would be a good start. thats how i figured out how to weld

Yeah I have a 110 that I got from Tractor supply for 150 (display unit). I go over to the local steel scrap yard and they charge me like $.35 a pound or something like that.

Iron the one problem I have with Title doing it himself is that he didn't jig up the frame before. It may have sprung on him, he has no previous experience in welding (from what it sounds like) and I'm not sure that he has an effective way to keep the frame straight for welding.

$150 is a little steep. For an experienced welder it would/should really be $75 and that's assuming that they are charging $75 an hour.

You don't have any access to a friend or friend of a friend that is a welder or has a welder and some experience?

Yeah I didn't jig it up before hand. Hopefully that doesn't cause problems for the welder. Maybe that's why he wants 150, because he knows I cut the frame already. I asked if they would need the engine to use as a jig and they said no. But I'm going to try and have it cleaned up today incase they do need to use it.

Posted via Mobile

Yeah I'm still new to this. :p I just assumed that if he didn't have an XS specific jig he might need the motor. I just overthink stuff sometimes ;)

Posted via Mobile

I was thinking u were using a hardtail kit from TC or G&L. Either way it u don't feel safe doing it yourself then don't and go the way you feel safe

I was thinking u were using a hardtail kit from TC or G&L. Either way it u don't feel safe doing it yourself then don't and go the way you feel safe

Yeah I am using a hardtail kit from TC Bros. But I'm not going to weld it on myself, I was just saying I'd like it if when it was welded on it had more than just the slug to connect to the frame. I'll ask them if they have the piped to do it that way so it looks cleaner. But I did prep the frame myself. I cut the back part off and took the angle grinder to it to take off the extra chunks of pipe where I made the cuts and also a sanding wheel to smooth things over. Finished it off with a wire wheel to take any paint out of the weld area. Just finished up for today and left that plate on the backbone, if he doesn't want to weld to that he can cut it off.

Different subject... What's the best way to get all of the little bits clean on the bottom half of the engine. I'm thinking about painting or powdercoating the engine black but I need to get it perfectly clean first. I spent a good 3 or 4 hours today with purple power and various brushes scrubbing the grease and gunk off of the engine but there is still a good bit in the small cracks and stuff.

Yeah man. It takes everything off anyway.. I mean if you were just going to take the grease off a lot of ppl sodablast it, but the surface should be "rough" for the powder to adhere properly... From what I understand that is.

Yeah man. It takes everything off anyway.. I mean if you were just going to take the grease off a lot of ppl sodablast it, but the surface should be "rough" for the powder to adhere properly... From what I understand that is.

Ahh sweet, thanks. Looks like it's time to tare this motor down and have it blasted.

That's not really the case, depending on level of crap. If it's thick grease, the blaster will just push it around. It saves you money if you clean off as much as possible.

Yeah if I'm going to get it powder coated I have to take the whole thing apart anyway at which point it will be a little easier to clean up so I can get as much as I can off before I send it off to be coated.

I dropped the frame off to the welder today and when I mentioned that the frame def. sprung when I was cutting it apart they asked for the motor so they could be sure it fits right so I dropped that off with them today also. Luckily I mentioned that because I was about to start taking it apart today.

Picked it up yesterday.

4524043055_7193467c5d_b.jpg

Back