You might be a redneck if........

Gordon in nc

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
I thought this might be fun. Looks like I will make the XS Southeast Rally this coming weekend and the cat will be out of the bag then...so what the heck.

You might be a redneck if.........

coleman.jpg

Your hard bags are actually a pair of Coleman's cheapest coolers!:laugh:

These started out as a joke.....6 years ago. Since then they have been mounted on three different bikes, traveled through 7 states and this will be their 10th camp out. I do take them off once I get set up.....and actually use them as coolers!!! :bike:

Okay.....yes, I have to much times on my hands this morning. :laugh:

Hope all of you on this side of the world are enjoying what's left of the summer.

Gordon in NC

Last edited:
Great idea.:thumbsup: Got to disperse the beer and ice to both sides though so balance is maintained. Might hamper keeping tools and clothes dry.:laugh:

I've carried a Coleman "Lil' Oscar" cooler on my bike when I travel for years. When traveling on a bike, it's best to "multi-purpose" things if you can. The cooler acts as a little travel trunk while I ride, holding things I want quick access to like my rain suit and a sweater. Once at the camp site, it's a cooler of course, but also makes a nice little seat. In fact, the lid has a permanent butt print in it, lol .....

My650Touring.jpg

- - - You might be a redneck if......... - - -

Hi Gordon,
nah, you are not even close.
A true redneck's pannier/coolers wouldn't be the same colour, one would have a plywood lid, they'd fly the Confederate rather than the Union flag and they'd have bullet holes in them.
Anna tatty bedroll roped across them.

Thanks for the comments fellows.....but I was hoping I'd see some more examples of "valued engineered" ideas.

For example....but I don't have a photo (yet) to share....

There's a scooter in the town that has a metal folding chair for a seat. :laugh:

Let's see em boys and girls...............Gordon in NC

I have no original ideas. But I do have desire to see how you fabbed those racks.
Any pictures of them without the boxes on?

Thanks for the comments fellows.....but I was hoping I'd see some more examples of "valued engineered" ideas.

For example....but I don't have a photo (yet) to share....

There's a scooter in the town that has a metal folding chair for a seat. :laugh:

Let's see em boys and girls...............Gordon in NC

You're going to fit right in next weekend! :bike:

HOLY COW!!!!!!!!!! :laugh: Two many...:laugh:

Okay this is NOT any type of a sales pitch. These things were constructed as a joke and I figured they wouldn't last long at all. You REALLY have to have a "I don't care what others think about me or my bikes" attitude to pull it off.

There is no "rack" so to speak......I just used stuff I had lying around. These photos were taken 6 years ago when I first made them.

Two heavy duty "L" brackets fastened to the coolers. Two hole conduit straps with a rubber hose buffer attached to the rear rack. I had to fab up some offset brackets to fit these on the XS. The P clamp at the top keeps it from rotating. (on the other bikes/rack they have been mounted to, it's kinda useless on the XS set up so I used some all thread between the two)

I used sleeves through the cooler so the bolts wouldn't crush the plastic.

And a large plate inside to spread out the load.

When I want to use them as a cooler I line the inside with a trash bag.

The first bike I had these on was a CB77 Super Hawk and it didn't have a side stand..(they are a hard find on the cheap)......first trip I took (400+ round trip to the beach in the winter) I was getting off at a gas station and dropped the bike on it's side. The cooler took most of the impact and nothing cracked??????

I get a kick out of making something out of nothing....and that's all that really counts.

HUGS!!!!!! Gordon in NC

Last edited:
Can't believe how timely this photo is......since Marty just posted something about this on the XS Southeast Rally thread.

IronHorse2012001_zps41498810.jpg

This photo was taken at the IRON HORSE campground a couple of years ago. I was elected to ride back up Hwy 28 to fetch beer. :bike:

Take care......Gordon in NC

Last edited:
Looks like you can carry a couple of cases. How does the bike handle. Great idea for mounting them. Now to be a real redneck you need to build a trailer out of a jumbo cooler. :D Dry county how far do you have to go for beer?

Now, when you git yerself parked and all set up, you need a properly clever "redneck" sign to mark yer spot and announce yer intentions, kinda like this'n:

Attachments

• funny-signs-3.jpg
    funny-signs-3.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 200
Now I can see them flying off the wall on EBAY you got something there. I can put my dog in one and take him for a ride. Get a gas can and have extra gas for those long runs. Great cooler for road kill for that extra meat for the winter and last put my twin Grand kids in them and run them around the yard. NOW THAT's A REDNECK HAHA:thumbsup:

HOLY COW!!!!!!!!!! :laugh: Two many...:laugh:

Okay this is NOT any type of a sales pitch. These things were constructed as a joke and I figured they wouldn't last long at all. You REALLY have to have a "I don't care what others think about me or my bikes" attitude to pull it off.

There is no "rack" so to speak......I just used stuff I had lying around. These photos were taken 6 years ago when I first made them.

Two heavy duty "L" brackets fastened to the coolers. Two hole conduit straps with a rubber hose buffer attached to the rear rack. I had to fab up some offset brackets to fit these on the XS. The P clamp at the top keeps it from rotating. (on the other bikes/rack they have been mounted to, it's kinda useless on the XS set up so I used some all thread between the two)

I used sleeves through the cooler so the bolts wouldn't crush the plastic.

And a large plate inside to spread out the load.

When I want to use them as a cooler I line the inside with a trash bag.

The first bike I had these on was a CB77 Super Hawk and it didn't have a side stand..(they are a hard find on the cheap)......first trip I took (400+ round trip to the beach in the winter) I was getting off at a gas station and dropped the bike on it's side. The cooler took most of the impact and nothing cracked??????

I get a kick out of making something out of nothing....and that's all that really counts.

HUGS!!!!!! Gordon in NC

That's just straight-up clever, Gordon. If I was the type to ride to rallies and such, I would steal your idea in a heartbeat. Well done! :thumbsup:

Big Dicks........Halfway Inn.....:laugh: Now I don't care who you are..THAT'S FUNNY!!!!!

Gee fellows, I wasn't expecting all the kind comments. I was just giving you a chance to have a laugh at me......along with me. These things are still just a joke but I'll use them until they fail. You wouldn't believe how some motorcyclest actually avoid eye contact with me when I pull into a gas station with them on my bike. :laugh: :bike:

How far was the beer run???? I'm not 100% sure but maybe under 20 miles one way. I can't remember if I had to go all the way into Bryson City but I think I did.

To tell the truth, that was way more weight than I wanted to haul in these things...you can see they are sagging (pulling at the P clamp). Only good thing was.....the beer didn't last long and everybody got a good laugh out of it.

I normally take them off once I'm set up....takes about 15 mins and a little longer to put them back on. I haul camping gear, fluids, tools, spares and try to keep the heavy stuff down low.

How did the bikes handle? Well, the Super Hawk didn't like it but I think that had more to do with it's worn out rear wheel bearings. On my BSA B44 I couldn't even tell they were on there and the longest trip I took with that combo was over 1000 miles. I'm thinking the XS will do fine but I will report back after the Rally.

OKAY......enough about the cooler bags......lets see YOUR best redneck invention...I know you got em. :thumbsup:

I hope you all have the BEST week ever, Gordon in NC

Last edited:
Here's a challenge. Look around your part of the world (might not have to look any further than your own shop :thumbsup:) and see if you can find an example of "redneck" engineering. Motorcycle only......we've all probably seen stuff off the internet (okay I've NEVER seen Two Many's cow...where does he come up with that stuff?)......... so lets see what you can come up with. OH, if it's XS650 then that's even BETTER!!!!!!!

Here's mine.....photo taken today. 09-21-15

chair%20002.jpg

Well, it's not actually a motorcycle but since I started this.....I can cheat a little if I want to.:laugh:

Now folks....PLEASE don't get wrong. I am not in any way making fun of this ride. My hat's off to a fellow who can pull this off. My guess is it's his (or her) only way to get around and by golly......it works. I can also tell by where it's parked every day...he or she works too.:thumbsup:

I've always had more respect for folks that pay more for gas than they do polish.

Lets see what you can come up with.......

Gordon in NC

OH......and if this isn't on the right board....could the moderators please move it?

Last edited:
That folding chair installation actually looks comfortable, and handy, since you can pop it off and put it to use at the weekend bar-b-que.

Reminds me of a friend who had to drive his stripped and gutted GTO project several miles to the paint shop. No seats, so I threw my ol' bean bag chair in there for him to sit on. No steering wheel, so we clamped some vice-grips on the steering shaft. Followed him to the shop, and, as bumps and miles passed, he slowly sunk lower and lower, eventually disappearing into the bowels of the interior. Arriving at the shop, the top of his head was at the same height as the instrument panel. Driving with a sixth sense, I suppose.

...(okay I've NEVER seen Two Many's cow...where does he come up with that stuff?)...

I dunno, Gordon. I try to do serious research, but my Google's "personalized search parameters" must think I'm a demented moron, and that stuff just pops up.

Here's my contribution, 'redneck' deer feeder battery:
full

full

Back