1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Ywain

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gggGary, Sep 10, 2019.

1. MaxPete

MaxPete Life with Lucille...I suggest, she decides. Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Could you fit - and weld - a sleeve into the top of the XS frame steering head to make up the extra 5/16”?

Obviously, alignment would need to be good but that spacer-sleeve would be much simpler to make than messing around with the stem.

Pete

2. Jim

Jim I have a plan. It's something to deviate from. Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Have you installed the outer race in the bottom of the neck? Maybe you could shim it down that amount to lower the stem?

Wulfbyte and gggGary like this.
  3. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

that's one way! probably have to shim BOTH ends a little, yes the bottom neck race is in but I have angled access holes drilled to remove it. :sneaky:

4. Jim

Jim I have a plan. It's something to deviate from. Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

No matter where ya go.... there ya are... :D
    Fire up the lathe and make 2 - 5/32" shims... one top and one bottom.

Wulfbyte, GLJ, gggGary and 1 other person like this.
  5. GLJ

GLJ If you can't laugh at youself you shouldn't laugh Top Contributor

When it's all said and done ask yourself how much time do you want to spend to save a $20 bearing. Engineering wise whats the best fix? Steering is somewhat important.

6. MaxPete

MaxPete Life with Lucille...I suggest, she decides. Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Increasing the spacing between the bearings would be best because the assembly would gain stability and stiffness - but as I mentioned, it needs to be done accurately.

....and yes, steering is important in contrast to braking which is widely over-rated. ;)

7. GLJ

If the cups are not fully in the neck it may not. Lots of things to look at.

Wulfbyte, gggGary and Jim like this.
  8. Jim

If 50% or more of the race was inside the tube.... a good interference fit, and fully seated, I'd be perfectly comfortable with that.

mrtwowheel, Wulfbyte, gggGary and 2 others like this.
  9. MaxPete

Yup - and if the sleeve is welded into place - I think it would be fine.

Wulfbyte and Jim like this.
  10. GLJ

Playing the devils advocate here. How would you feel about a wheel bearing where only 50% of the race was supported?

11. Jim

Too many variables to answer that.... is it set in poorly cast aluminum or high quality steel? Is it a bearing designed for a 5000lb. load that will only see a 2000lb. load in use... or will it see the full 5000lb. load in service? For what Gary's doing here, I believe it will be more than up to the task. I mean... we ain't trying to fly to the moon here after all. ;)

mrtwowheel, Wulfbyte, GLJ and 2 others like this.
  12. Jim

Should have added.... if you look at the "loose balls" setup Yamaha originally installed, 50% of a tapered roller is still light years better.

Team Junk, GLJ, 59Tebo and 3 others like this.
  13. 59Tebo

59Tebo 59Tebo Top Contributor

I dunno, gggGary... I'm inclined to agree with GLJ here. IMHO, it might be best to cut your losses, bite the bullet, remove the bearing (by any means), and start over. Consider it an expensive lesson. :twocents:

Jim, GLJ and gggGary like this.
  14. gggGary

There's another option yet boyo's, :sneaky: at this point I'm thinking it's the best and most elegant way... :bike:

Wulfbyte, MaxPete, Mailman and 2 others like this.
  15. gggGary

And done!
    DSCN0355.JPG DSCN0356.JPG
    DSCN0357.JPG DSCN0358.JPG
    DSCN0359.JPG DSCN0362.JPG
    DSCN0361.JPG DSCN0363.JPG

Attached Files:

16. GLJ

Very nice! More than one way to skin a cat.:thumbsup:

Wulfbyte, MaxPete, Mailman and 2 others like this.
  17. Jim

18. GLJ

I guess our suggestions were for mere mortals. I forgot I was dealing with The Baron of Baraboo. :geek:

mrtwowheel, Wulfbyte, MaxPete and 4 others like this.
  19. gggGary

I've done it before on XS750/650 fork swaps with just an angle grinder, big hammer, and the welder. :shrug:

Wulfbyte, Superjet, MaxPete and 5 others like this.
  20. GLJ

So you were just leading us on? Shame on you.:cussing:
    I know if this had been a real test we would have flunked.

Wulfbyte, MaxPete, gggGary and 2 others like this.