Zerk Fitting Size?

bdholsin

XS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oops, broke a grease zerk. Used a grease gun on my '83 and when I pulled the gun off the zerk fitting it snapped off so the hex part was still in my grease gun. Managed to get the threaded part of the fitting out.

I know mike's sells them but I'd like to just pick a pair up locally instead of waiting for a week and paying a large shipping fee for two measly zerk fittings. Yeah, I'd like to order a few things from mike's to justify the order/shipping but money is tight right now and I just can't swing a large order.

Anyone know what size the threads are on the zerk fittings? I'm hoping my local hardware store or TSC may have the right parts for me.

Thanks.

They are an M6 thread size. The auto parts stores usually sell assortment packs with straight, 45°, and 90° angled fittings in them. An angled fitting works well for the bottom center of your swingarm .....

SwingarmGreaseNipple.jpg

I've added additional straight fittings to the steering neck, side and centerstand pivots .....

GreaseNipple.jpg

SideStandGreaseNipple.jpg

CenterstandGreaseNipples.jpg

Save the ball and spring for your carbs.
If the hardware/auto/farm store has metric sizes they are an easy match.

5twins - in looking at thread sizes the only question I have that remains is if the M6 is tapered. I went to my local "Do It Best" store and they had 1/4-28 fittings. I gave one a try on a whim (only $0.70) and it didn't work. Obviously a 1/4-28 isn't going to fit in an M6 (I know this now). I was giving it a try in the off chance it was going to work.

I like what you did for the steering and the side stand. Did you have to remove the side stand to do the drilling and tapping or did you do it as installed?

Back