1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

ZZR front end mocked up

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bcthomas, Jul 14, 2011.

1. [​IMG]

Stem length is the same. I need a different bottom bearing setup but it looks like I'll be able to use the zzr stem. I'm thinking I'll use one of the tokico 6-pots with an fzr disc on my xs spoked wheel.

2. Ended up having to get the xs stem swapped in. Any ideas on getting that large dia hollow axle to fit my stock front wheel?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Cool I love to see custom fork setups!
    How does the ride height compare?
    I don't want to rain but does that bead have good penetration? It looks a little "on top" of the stem and collar?

4. The zzr forks are 1.5" shorter than the stock ones.

The weld is just an extra precaution as the stem and bushing were pressed into place under extreme force. I trust the machinist/welder....he builds insane rock crawlers and has extensive experience with mx and adventure bikes.

I'm getting excited to reign this thing in with tociko 6-pots.

5. Ghetto

Ghetto Bob it!

Going to do some stoppies??

6. jay760

jay760 XS650 Junkie

Not with those bearings

7. I've got the all balls tapered kit otw so we'll see how that feels before I go too crazy.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  8. Got the triple bolted on with the tapered roller bearing kit....super easy and they seem worlds better design wise.
    [​IMG]
    I need to take 2mm out of the inner bore on the top clamp and clean it up where I hacked off the ignition mount from the zx6r. My 46mm clip-ons came in and I'm sorting through my tociko 6-pot stash to find the best combo of used parts.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyone have any 320mm FZR or Ducati front rotors?

9. bradshaw106

bradshaw106 XS650 Addict

Did you ever find your front rotors? I have one

10. Not yet....really looking for a matched pair. What do you have?

11. bradshaw106

bradshaw106 XS650 Addict

I only have one tho... I bought a set and figured I didn't need two rotors [​IMG][/IMG]

12. Been a while since I've had time for the 650 but I'm still wrenching in stolen moments.

I had a rather unfortunate katana sparring incident with a friend and I'm still healing.
    [​IMG]

Family, business travel and active hobbies that help with my diabetes also take priority.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I did manage to get the zx6r front end functionally installed and I'm waiting on some rotor spacers for the ducati 320mm set I have. I'm finishing up the brake rear set this evening and have quite a bit of electric sorting to do but I think I'll be riding it by the time my cast comes off.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. hotrdd

hotrdd XS650 Junkie

I cut the end of one of my fingers off several years ago but that was childs play compared to how your hand looks. Hope it heals well.

14. KSAL

KSAL XS650 Enthusiast

Hey sweet build! NASTY NASTY hand..... ughhh i shivered for about 5 minutes after seeing that. ughhh. hahahah anyway i'm doing a swap with a 2006 zx6r to a 82 xs... any tips or things i should know. Parts i will need to buy? Thanks

15. You just need to bring both bottom triples to a good machine shop to have your 650 stem pressed into the zx triple. Get a set of tapered bearings for a 650 and bolt that front end on so that you can figure out the details.

Are you going to run your 650 wheel or the zx one?

I got the brakeside rear set finished tonight.
    [​IMG]
    I'm trying not to get distracted by the 140cc engine waiting to go into one of these.
    [​IMG]

16. KSAL

KSAL XS650 Enthusiast

AWW MAN thanks for the advice!!! I would have never guessed to start there. Yeah i have the entire front clip off of the zx. wheel brakes forks triple everything. Yea i will be usuing the front wheel. Any hints on where to find the bearings i will need??

17. any of the XS places or eBay/amazon

18. TheApe

TheApe XS650 Member

How did you get the axle to fit the xs rim? Great looking build by the way.

19. Thanks,

The OD of the zx wheel bearings was identical to the XS ones so I just swapped them out and made some simple spacers to center the wheel.

20. TheApe

TheApe XS650 Member

Just got me an 08 R6 complete front end should start my swap soon!