“Garage built, shed built”... stable built!

My Cognito Moto hubs are getting dropped off for bearing & seal installation. I dare not tackle it myself, it would break my heart to damage them.

The nerd within me couldn't not get NOS bearings & seals.

View attachment 214563

Daniel.
Nice one Daniel. I have just installed the Cognito Disc conversion hub on my build. Its a great bit of kit. Looking forward to the next instalment on your thread.

So this now brings us to May of 2022 and well into the computer age if you will.

As I said in the last post I have a very clear image in my mind of how I want this build to turn out and to me the seat cowl of a 'Cafe Racer' is a crucial component of that.

This next paragraph may take some imagination on the readers behalf.

I always wanted to retain the rear loop on my build because I felt it was one of the defining characteristics of the frame. I also wanted to still have the frames tubing visible rather than have the cowl cover it, so if I could have the cowl, across it's entirety, sit along the centre line of the top of the frames tubing then I would be satisfied.

I hope you're all still with me and this goes someway to explain my next move.

I booked myself back in with Ian of ETTO Motorcycles for end of June. I've had a lot of correspondence with Ian since I first learned of him and during our conversations about producing formers he alerted me to a company http://www.a2p2.co.uk/index.php?idPage=7

Now A2P2 can take whatever you have, whether it's a motorcycle frame or a car bonnet, digitally map it and then remodel it to fit another frame or chassis. They then work closely with another firm to produce a former from CNC cut plywood and composite segments.

View attachment 214438View attachment 214439

So as of today A2P2 have digitally mapped my frame & XS750 seat cowl and are about to perform their computer wizardry to make the two meet exactly as my rather picky standards dictate.

Daniel.
What are we looking at here? Looks like a tank, viewed from front and right, and what is the bottom pic? The one w blue in it, are we looking at it from front or rear?

What are we looking at here? Looks like a tank, viewed from front and right, and what is the bottom pic? The one w blue in it, are we looking at it from front or rear?

Hi @joebgd

The top photo is indeed a motorcycle tank and the bottom photo is the bonnet of a classic British sports car, perhaps an E-Type?

Daniel.

Full thickness Titanium cylinder studs.

I just couldn't help myself!

XS650CylinderStuds.jpg

XS650CylinderStudsfi.jpgXS650CylinderStudsti.jpg
Before anybody says it, this has cost me £0.75 for every gram of weight lost with these!

Shall I just go ahead and change the thread title to Moto GP XS at this point?

Daniel.

Last edited:
Keep going you will love that head when its going.

The top cover & head are at Roland Alsop’s in Surrey for the valve guide’s installed, valve seats cut and resurfacing. As well as my Heiden Tuning Big Fin Cylinder Barrel, Westwood liners & JE Pistons for liners installed and honed.

Daniel.

Last edited:
Let’s stop beating around the bush. We’re gonna need to see a titanium frame/swing arm, and carbon fiber wheels out of you

You know, I can’t say I’ve not researched Titanium frames but the stumbling block seems to be, that in regards to motorcycles they only really lend themselves to trellis frame construction (relatively modern Ducati’s) and wouldn’t be ideal in a double cradle configuration (like our beloved XS650) too much flex resulting in poor handling that would be a nightmare to engineer out.

Daniel.

they only really lend themselves to trellis frame construction (relatively modern Ducati’s) and wouldn’t be ideal in a double cradle configuration
Okay. So what if you designed a trellis frame around the Xs's motor mounting points? Would the motor itself be strong enough to serve as part of the frame structure?

Okay. So what if you designed a trellis frame around the Xs's motor mounting points? Would the motor itself be strong enough to serve as part of the frame structure?
I’m not sure as the motor wasn’t designed for its mounting points to be a stressed member so I fear they would crack in time. (FWIW I’m just a dummy on the internet not an engineer) If you want to keep the bike relatively stock looking, the tank design would be another hurdle

I’m not sure as the motor wasn’t designed for its mounting points to be a stressed member so I fear they would crack in time. (FWIW I’m just a dummy on the internet not an engineer) If you want to keep the bike relatively stock looking, the tank design would be another hurdle

Any drastic alterations in frame design for me would be an XS650 engine in a bespoke frame and that’s not what I love. I think the XS has beautifully classical lines that with a little finessing can look truly stunning.

Daniel.

Back