1 question, tire balancing, 1 rabbit hole, paint and heat retention?

joebgd

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Question, 2 actually. After changing tires myself or shop for that matter, is it necessary to balance the wheel?
After drilling rotors is it necessary to balance the wheel? Do shops high speed balance motorcycle tires? Is static balancing the norm?

Now, there are so many rabbit holes to dive down on here. Maybe we can condense one.
What conclusions have been made regarding painting engine and heat retention? I would like to paint, maybe just the barrels, probably red and polished edges of fins. I do live in an area where on occasion is bad stop n go traffic.
General consensus on will paint help hinder or do nothing on engine cooling.

I do..
My norm is once the added weights are enough that balance point starts to move from the original heavy spot, that's good enough.
But most of the time the new tire ends up using weights fairly similar to what was on there.
So hint if you don't re-balance, prolly leave the old weights on.
I've had some Yamaha mag wheels that were seriously unbalanced BEFORE mounting a tire.
drilling disks, no need to rebalance.
A Norton guru James Comstock did an extensive bare, paint, powder coat, heat transfer test on cast iron Norton jugs. The take away was the differences were small, some even in favor of coatings.
He has some other good MC head work videos.

I would suggest to always rebalance your wheel after a tire change (if possible).

I’ve never used em but I’ve heard good things about balance beads.

Every shop I’ve gotten a tire mounted at does a high speed balance. At home on a stand seems to be just fine as well.

I’ve seen motors coated in all sorts of stuff. Never seen one fail because of it.

There are even coatings that can be applied that promote thermal discharge. (Ps. Dibs on that name for my new band).

I would suggest to always rebalance your wheel after a tire change (if possible).

I’ve never used em but I’ve heard good things about balance beads.

Every shop I’ve gotten a tire mounted at does a high speed balance. At home on a stand seems to be just fine as well.

I’ve seen motors coated in all sorts of stuff. Never seen one fail because of it.

There are even coatings that can be applied that promote thermal discharge. (Ps. Dibs on that name for my new band).
I use balance beads (from J&P Cycle) on my Harley. I like them even though they are a PITA to install.

I static balance my wheels and tires. I'll leave the weights on when changing a tire, sometimes it's still good. Other times may require a slight adjustment to the weights (move them a spoke or two). Most of my wheels seem to require 1 to 3 ounces. I cast my own weights and most come out about 3/4 to 7/8 of an ounce, so it usually takes two or three of them.

Mold-Filled.jpg

Mold-Inside.jpg

Mold-Top.jpg

Cast1.jpg

The jugs on my '83 are painted and I think it runs hotter than my '78 with raw aluminum jugs.

I static balance my wheels and tires. I'll leave the weights on when changing a tire, sometimes it's still good. Other times may require a slight adjustment to the weights (move them a spoke or two). Most of my wheels seem to require 1 to 3 ounces. I cast my own weights and most come out about 3/4 to 7/8 of an ounce, so it usually takes two or three of them.

View attachment 235505

View attachment 235506

View attachment 235507

View attachment 235508

The jugs on my '83 are painted and I think it runs hotter than my '78 with raw aluminum jugs.
When I raced Formula Vee many years ago, we had no option but to static (bubble) balance. I can promise you this, you can static balance tires and they will not shake at well over a 100MPH if you are patient. The biggest advantage that high speed balancing has is speed.

I think I read this here several years back - a guy was walking through the pits at a road race and came upon the Kenny Roberts pit area. One of the pit crew was static balancing his tires. He said if it's good enough for King Kenny, it's good enough for him. I have to agree.

I static balance all the wheels I put new tires on. It works fine, not aware of anyone that dynamic balances motorcycle wheels.
As for painting jugs, you'll want to use a bakeable paint and keep in mind the cylinder liners may creep or slide out depending on how they're supported, don't sit the jugs in the oven on the liners sticking out of the bottom.

Back