xs650 wheels

This was taken from Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_XS_650 so use it more as a guideline than fact.

All wheels (chrome rim wire, aluminum rim wire, seven-spoke cast aluminum) swap on all years.

Except that:

Drum fronts on early models are on their own.
Pre '77 & post '77 fronts have different (offset) brake discs, the wheels swap but not the discs.
Drum rear wheel into rear disc frame needs the rear drum frame swingarm too.
Disk rear wheel into rear drum frame needs the rear disc frame swingarm and also needs brake master-cylinder lugs welded to the frame.

Handling differences on swapping rear wheels:-

Standard rear tire is 110/90-18. Special rear tire is 130/90-16. Because the Standard tire is narrower it corners quicker. Because the Special tire is wider it's steadier in a straight line. Overall gearing will not change as the two tires are essentially the same outside diameter.

Left-side front disc brake (omitted on North American models only) can be added by bolting another disc to the left side of the wheel (the bolt holes are there) and the left-side caliper from an SR500, XS750, XS850 or XS11 (the fork lugs are there) and adding the other brake line & a double-length banjo bolt. XS650 stock master cylinder still works. The system needs very careful bleeding, stainless steel wire braid hoses improve the feel.

From my experiences, most of the above is accurate, except the part about adding an additional caliper and still using the stock master cylinder. I recommend using a larger master cylinder (16mm or 5/8" bore) better suited to operating two calipers or you'll have a mushy lever.

So to answer you question, you shouldn't have any problems getting a set of 77 wheels to fit onto an 81 if they are both drum rear. Might have to swap the front brake disc though if the 77 wheels are from early in the year and were mounted to the older 34mm forks. From my understanding, if the discs look the same on both wheels, they'll work with no problems.

Not mentioned in the Wiki quote is that when swapping rear disc to drum (or vice versa), the splined pivot shaft for the rear brake pedal needs to be swapped as well. The bracket on the back of the pivot shaft is totally different between drum and disc applications.

5twins! Thanks for that info, and welcome to the forum! Gald to have you here! :thumbsup:

if you have a drum brake and want to put a later back wheel with a disk you have to change the swing arm as well , the disk wheel is slightly wider,and vice versa,but the swing arm is a straight swap on all years from the xs1 right through, though the early swing arms are shorter,can't remember just how much shorter I think its about 2 inches.I have an xs2 with a late swing arm and cast disk brake wheels,with xs750 forks with cast front wheels, swapping and changing between models is relatively simple.

Attachments

• A_001_024.jpg
    A_001_024.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 1,617
Last edited:
it's a tracy body,all one piece,so thin you could see through the tank when I got it,you see them on ebay but more often for honda 750's ,we tried it up against a roadster and it would fit almost staight on ,with just a tiny bit of modification to fit the xs2 frame,not sure what state its in these days, it's in a friends garage, haven't seen it for a couple of years will be out on it in 2 weeks all being well.

Also, the brake light switch is different. I had to swap the brake pedal pivot shaft and add a bracket to hold the spring. I welded on a spare pivot shaft lock washer flattened out. It worked out great, i just had to figure out the right geometry before welding. Also, you need a spacer to take the place of the caliper.

One other year front wheel will not interchange with any other year too and that being the 72 disc brake front wheel. 69 and up drum rears all interchange, 73 and up front wheels all interchange. Rotors need to be matched with the front end you are using. also xs- 750, 850, and 1100 front wheels will work. Im not sure about rears. I think that there are other models of the era that will work as well.

As a new head scratcher to this whole thing my question is this ...
I will be useing a rigid rear end on my project and will use mothing other than a laced wheel,

1) What is a preferred rim size for a bobber style project

2) With all that has been written here in mind,am I correct to assume that a rigid rear can use either disc or drum( and any year ) as either must be set up from scratch on the new rear end?

3)I'm not employed at a chopper fab shop(but have certified welders available ) and my skills are minimal...what would the easiest XS650 hardtail rear set up be ?

...........I'll get into the springer front end dilema at another time.
ANY help would be well...HELPfull!

Preferred rear wheel size will largely be a matter of taste. But given that most bobber owners seem to prefer a fatter rear tire, then you'd probably want to go with a 16" rear. Assuming we're discussing stock components, if you want to run spokes, your only option for a rear brake is a drum. If you want to run cast wheels, the rear drum cast wheel is the rare one. It was made only one year -- 1981. As to which will be easier to set up, I'd say that the drum would be. You don't have to worry about welding lugs for the rear master cylinder on the frame, etc. Also, and this is just my opinion, but a rear drum gives the bike a cleaner look. So, for ease of installation and convenience, my recommendation then would be to go with spoked wheels, the rear being a 16" from a Special II.

This thread supplies some VERY helpful info, and as a new member I just cant stop reading through ALL the different forums....however I cant seem to find the specific info I'm looking for...can anyone help...???

I've been gathering parts for my first bobber project and and would like to use the spoke wheels I have from an xs400 (both drum brakes). I'm using a '78 650 frame (which came with cast mags and discs brakes).
For the front, I was hoping to use the 400 fork and spoke wheel, this would be ideal because the 400 fork is the right height I'm looking for, it is much shorter than the 650 fork but the 650 frame neck and 400 tree don't mesh. Would it be better to re-work the neck to get the fork to work or...shorten the 650 forks and figure out how to get the 400 wheel to work on the 650 fork?
For the rear I will probably use a ridgid frame so I will just spec a spoke wheel drum brake setup. Does that sound right?

Hi Guys- I indvertently bought an 18" cast front wheel believeing it to be for XS650- cleaned -polished - new tyre etc - to find that its actually an SR500 wheel - 100-90-18
Would like to run with this rim- but even though I changed the bearings to suit the XS axle dont have all the spacer dimensions correct somehow because when i tighten the axle the wheel also tightens - if someone knows the specific sizes needed to adapt the SR wheel to my 80 SG - would appreciate please

Trikester; Fong Brothers use XS400 front ends on some of their bikes. They post on here, so hit them up with a PM and get the lowdown.

My 79 SE 2F025155* import from the US has 19" front wheel chrome rim wire spokes single disk with 100/30/19 tyre ? and 190/30/16 Rear (with drum brake)

Are these standard sizes for this year and model ? i'm looking to replace the tyres but haven't a clue if the tyres fitted are the correct size.

Okay, assuming the 18" spoked, drum brake, rear wheel (it's a '75, originally shod with a 110/90-18, or 4.50-18), what other size tires will fit within the stock width swingarm? Do I have options for tire size, or am I stuck with the odd-ball, hard-to-find-cool-tires-in-this-size size? I don't care about 'stock'. There won't be much left on my bike that's 'stock'.

Travis,
Hi, Have a question re: swapping an 16" Special rear with a 18" standard rim.
Couldn't I take my Special drum rear and re spoke it to an !8" rim. I want a larger diameter wheel than the Special, but you just said that they are essentially the same dia. Explain more please

Back