18" Mag Rear Wheel Options for XS650 - Shaft Drive Wheels in Particular

JonW

Troop
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the XS650 did not come with an 18" rear mag wheel with a disc rear brake. I know that there is a kit from Omars Fiberglass Company to fit 19" front mag wheels as rear wheels. https://www.omarsfiberglass.com/more-products

But, has anyone ever thought of and or been successful using an 18" mag wheel from an XS750 or XS850 shaft drive model? And, if so, what work/modifications were performed in order to make it work?

I'm pretty sure people have used an sr500 wheel. You will probably have to mess with spacing the wheel itself or the caliper. Also pretty sure you'll need a custom sprocket cut.

Thanks. I should have mentioned the SR500 too but I want to know about the shaft drive wheels in particular?
Sorry I have no info about the shaft drive wheels. Any particular reason you want to use them? Trying to convert the xs to shaft drive?

lot more options in 17"
prolly simplest and a good width is the GS500.
https://www.xs650.com/threads/swing-arm-brace-chain-rubbing.57842/#post-684906
You will need to have a custom sprocket made then machine that a bit.
sprocket machined.jpg

But, has anyone ever thought of and or been successful using an 18" mag wheel from an XS750 or XS850 shaft drive model? And, if so, what work/modifications were performed in order to make it work?
I've thought about it.
I think that you would have to manufacture your own unique sprocket carrier, with an outrigger bearing to support the loads from the drive chain.
The XS650 doesn't strictly need any sort of cush drive in the rear hub, but driving through those bonded rubber bushes in the XS750 wheel wouldn't hurt none.
I suppose a big chunk of aluminium alloy billet would be the ideal material, but I dread to think what a machine shop might charge for the work involved.
Maybe OK if you have your own machining facilities, or work in a machine shop yourself, otherwise buying some other type of chain drive wheel might be more viable

Another option is an RD400 Mag rear wheel. The XS650 brake rotor bolts on, needs a 3/8th adapter/spacer plate with 8 holes to alighn the sprockets and bolt to the hub and for the sprocket to bolt to.......... will need to get a RD400 sprocket specially made, (33/34 tooth), for the RD400 wheel. The RD400 Also has rubber dampers in the hub.

The spokes on the mag don't curve going onto the rim like the XS650 mags, That is the only thing that will be visually different if some one is going to notice.

This was given to me buy Mel from the 650Garage site.
RD 400 rear wheel conversion01.jpg
RD 400 rear wheel conversion02.jpg
RD 400 rear wheel conversion03.jpg
RD 400 rear wheel conversion04.jpg

Sorry I have no info about the shaft drive wheels. Any particular reason you want to use them? Trying to convert the xs to shaft drive?

The main reason that I am asking is that they have the same 7-spoke design and appear to be plentiful and cheap and are of course 18x3 rims. No, I definitely am not trying to convert to shaft drive!

Dead 3 cyl XS are everywhere. Shouldn't be hard to find one and see what could be done, might be handy to get a pumpkin too, see if the ring gear carrier be a basis of a sprocket carrier........ shrug
1651535199504.png

Looks like it'd be easy to unbolt the ring gear from the carrier.
1651535356193.png

Nothing to it LOL

A few years back (code for I can't remember how long ago) I bought a 18" mag wheel from a shaft driven XS750. I also have an extra 16" mag wheel from a XS650. I figured there was enough space on each side of the center hub area of the 18" wheel for a sprocket carrier on one side and a brake rotor carrier on the other with the two bolted thru the hub of the wheel.The hub has 6 or more rivets that hold the drive to the wheel. The rivets are 1/4" thick. I'm no engineer but, I'd say if these rivets are enough to hold the shaft drive connection in place, replace them with 1/4" bolts to hold the 2 carriers in place. The 2 carriers would be machined from aluminium, to replicate the 2 sides of the original 16" wheel, complete with the spacing for bearings and spacer and of course the sprocket and brake rotor and I'd have a 18' chain driven mag wheel.

The rivets are 1/4" thick. I'm no engineer but, I'd say if these rivets are enough to hold the shaft drive connection in place, replace them with 1/4" bolts to hold the 2 carriers in place. The 2 carriers would be machined from aluminium, to replicate the 2 sides of the original 16" wheel, complete with the spacing for bearings and spacer and of course the sprocket and brake rotor and I'd have a 18' chain driven mag wheel.

axman857,

So, you have the mag wheel from the shaft drive XS750 but you haven't tried the modification yet?

Back