19" Wheel On Stock Rear Hub?

spacetiger110

Fashionably sensitive, but too cool to care.
Reaction score
I've been doing a bit of research into doing a 19" rear conversion as next year's winter project, and in a few threads on this and other forums regarding the Omar's kit I have seen comments saying 'just lace a 19" wheel to the stock hub'. Is it really that simple if I'm running spoked wheels? Is there anything else I would need to change? 1981 Special if that makes a difference.

What’s wrong with a factory 18” ? Or are you really set on running a disc rear brake?

Both of these trackers have a 16" rear wheel. Major difference in the stance of the bike.:thumbsup:
Yamaha-XS650-Street-Tracker-1-1024x768.jpeg

Yamaha-XS650-Cafe-Racer-Right-Side.jpg

Oops, looks like I was about one day late..........

Choices in 19" rear tires are extremely limited the Norton guys are aways whining about it.

I know, but the bike just looks so silly as is. A tracker with a 16" rear wheel!

For a vintage flat track look (read skinny tyres), I'd look hard at these tyres:
https://de.reifenwerk-heidenau.com/...w.php?lang=de&point=2&rtyp=9&profil=14&pic=16

Note that they are alle "tube type" (TT), which is no disadvantage on traditional spoke wheels.

I'd go for 4.00x19 on the rear, 3.25 or 3.50x19 front. Made in Germany, not China.....

Last edited:
I've been doing a bit of research into doing a 19" rear conversion as next year's winter project, and in a few threads on this and other forums regarding the Omar's kit I have seen comments saying 'just lace a 19" wheel to the stock hub'. Is it really that simple if I'm running spoked wheels? Is there anything else I would need to change? 1981 Special if that makes a difference.

What’s wrong with a factory 18” ? Or are you really set on running a disc rear brake?

There is also a couple of non-aesthetic advantages to a 19" rear wheel over 18" or 16".
Assuming the same tyre profile in 18 vs 19, a 19" will raise the rear 1/2". Using a longer shock to achieve the same could cause chain rubbing on the swing arm.
(In most cases though, one may still end up with longer shocks, even with a 19" rear)
Also, again assuming the same tyre profile, a 19" would raise gearing a bit as well (around 3.8%), which can allow the use of a one tooth larger rear sprocket/ avoiding use of smaller rear/ larger front sprockets.

Last edited:
Back