1971 Build for Dad

I don't see that on my screen, unless you mean the Google Chrome bookmark function?

Rhy, fully agree that Google is a good way to find things within a site. I buy parts from Yambits which unfortunately does not have a very user-friendly search facility so I often use a Google search - yambits XS650 clutch cable - or what have you to go to the item I need.
I'm using Microsoft Edge so maybe what I said would not apply

My favorite way of getting screenshots is to use a program called TechSmith Capture. This is a screenshot tool that makes it super easy to get only the part of the screen you want. You can even annotate it, then copy it to the Clipboard, save it, share it, whatever you want to do. Highly recommended and it is free.
Just tried it. I like it.
thumbsup.gif

I would buy it! No kidding, it would be awesome to have a hardcopy for reference in the shop. Forums are not the easiest source of information to sift through. Often, I will use Google to search this site. A handy trick:View attachment 199936
Type "site:xs650.com" into your Google search bar, followed by your search phrases. It is hard to beat the Google search engine...

I know of a couple ways to do this. The main method is to hit "Print Screen" on your keyboard. Then open a program like Paint and paste (Ctrl+V). You can then save this file or you can further crop it to the content you want.

My favorite way of getting screenshots is to use a program called TechSmith Capture. This is a screenshot tool that makes it super easy to get only the part of the screen you want. You can even annotate it, then copy it to the Clipboard, save it, share it, whatever you want to do. Highly recommended and it is free.

Rhys is right it could be a world beater. 5T is the next J.K.Rowling of Motorcycle Mechanics!
Trouble is his knowledge is so extensive it would have to be a series of books like Encyclopedia Britannica Collection (Yes I just about remember that; my parents had a subscription for years!).

This might help if you look just above your name in the upper right corner of this web page there should be a star with a + sign in it
Left click on that and it should open a new window with 1971 Build for Dad | Page 18 | Yamaha XS650 Forum (or whatever thread your on)
Folder -Favorites
Hit done and it should be saved to your favorites
I wish I knew how to save screen shots (above my pay grade) to help you out
I'm sure others will be more helpful but by farting around on my computer I found out how

Nice one Mikey. I think Raymond and I were looking for a bookmark service directly on the site, not a part of Google.

I finally tracked down a recurring issue with this bike last night. The engine was stumbling badly, especially at lower RPMs. I took me too long to realize this... but I eventually figured out that it was happening only when the turn signals are on?! If I keep steady throttle and lean into a corner I can turn on the signal and it will start to buck and surge. No other electrical systems, including the headlight, seem to be an issue. Any ideas? Could my flasher be going bad? :umm:

I don’t remember , did you install a new electronic ignition? I’m sure some of the more knowledgeable electrical gurus will chime in but to me it sounds like a bad ground somewhere. Bad grounds can make all sorts of weird things happen. I’d make sure that your turn signal connections are clean and shiny, check the ground connections in your wiring harness. It’s tedious I know. Also and this is important, anywhere that your wiring harness is grounded to the frame, and any aftermarket ignition where it grounds to the frame, that contact point needs to be paint free shiny metal. I had my frame powder coated. It’s very thick stuff, see here where my harness runs out a wire to ground to the frame? I used a Dremel and removed the paint there for that wire, I did the same for my electronic ignition.
F6B1BC34-6DF7-46B0-A41B-33ED548D5895.jpeg D7E44057-1FF9-4FD7-942A-CD0A1364A497.jpeg
This is my suspicion, especially since it only affects your ignition when the turn signals are on.
Someone else might have a better idea. Good luck.

I finally tracked down a recurring issue with this bike last night. The engine was stumbling badly, especially at lower RPMs. I took me too long to realize this... but I eventually figured out that it was happening only when the turn signals are on?! If I keep steady throttle and lean into a corner I can turn on the signal and it will start to buck and surge. No other electrical systems, including the headlight, seem to be an issue. Any ideas? Could my flasher be going bad? :umm:

I have an 1980 and the contacts on the left handlebar has been on its way to the electronics recycling bin at least 3 times. And it is still not working as it should
I have instead kept on servicing it Inside is a strange design with springs and washers not sure if yours is the same or new.
Over all I have rarely had a wire being off It is 90 -95 % of the time a switch -- connector -- fuse holder --ignition lock and so
So I would suspect it being inside that mechanism as a first assumption inspect clean and wipe off in there and do that first

Wont hurt to inspect the lamp holder inside the blinker but again I would think it is in the handlebar switch

sounds like a bad ground somewhere
Thanks! I think this is a very real possibility. This frame was also powder coated and I could definitely see how that could cause a problem.

Does it happen with left, right or both?
Happens with both.

Wont hurt to inspect the lamp holder inside the blinker but again I would think it is in the handlebar switch
I know exactly what you mean. The handlebar switch on my 1980 has malfunctioned several times. It is a terrible/weird design that I have had apart several times. The switch blocks on this bike are brand-spanking new, but I think I will also give these a quick check.

Thanks for the tips, I'll let you know what I find out!

. . . frame was also powder coated and I could definitely see how that could cause a problem . . .

Clearly, you are aware of the potential problem - pun intended. Powder coating a frame can lead to puzzling electrical problems as a lot of people restoring old British bikes have found.

We don't use PCV valves, they can't react fast enough to the engine pulses, we use power brake check valves, which are a form of reed valve I guess. The oil isn't past the valve, it's behind it in the hose, if there's any there at all. With a proper small outlet size, you don't get much oil or oil vapor coming out. This is something Yamaha changed and refined over the years. They started out on the early models with two outlets that had pretty big holes in them. They started getting complaints from some owners about too much oil vapor coming out. One of the first things they did was to reduce the recommended amount of oil to use. This lowered the level in the crankcase which apparently helped cut down on the oil mist problem. Then they started fooling with the breather outlets. First they blocked one off and only used the other one. Next, they went back to using both but stuck rubber reducer plugs in them to greatly reduce the outlet hole size. Finally they redesigned the housing with only one outlet pipe with a small hole in it.
When they finally redesigned it, did they have it pointing downwards 5twins? And do you know what size they reduced it to?

No, it points straight back. I never measured the hole size but my best guess is about 1/8" to 3/16" .....

Late Breather.jpg

If you can find one, you can retrofit this late breather assembly to the earlier engines.

Back