1972 XS2 with 5k miles

Nice score... ya didn't tell us ya paid $250.oo for it. ( insert smerky emoji here )

I seem to recall purchase price was around $2k. I've installed new Heidenau tires, a front brake caliper rebuild kit, a 14mm Nissin master cylinder, a primary oil filter and a rear brake switch. And I bought spare cables, carb rebuild kits, and petcock rebuild kits. So I'm probably into it for a bit over $2500 and my wrenching time. Seems like a pretty solid bike for the investment. And it's not something I would be paranoid about loaning out for friends to ride.

Now I need to get back to getting my Redline frame XS1 on the road.!

A couple of questions about minor stuff:

Should be clutch and clutch cable be adjusted when the bike is cold or warmed up? My service manual doesn't say, and I've noticed the cable adjustment seems to vary a bit between the two.

My idle speed seems to vary a few hundred RPMs with a 20-25F change in ambient temperature. Is that normal or should I be looking for an air leak?

Post 8 I talk about hot/cold adjustment.
You adjust it cold and when it gets good and warm it was normal to have to adjust it at the lever then when it cooled down adjust at the lever again.
I never found a happy medium. Aluminum pushrod was the cure.
I did notice when I got home I had extra free-play at the lever. Nothing unusual. Clutch still worked fine. The next morning after motor cooled down it was back to the original amount of free play. My bike has always done that. On a real hot day I would have to adjust the cable at the lever so I could stop and not have the bike try to creep forward. I think the extra throw of the Magura lever could lessen the need to readjust.

Yes, adjust it when cold. And I set mine pretty "tight" with very little to no freeplay. It's fine like that because as soon as the motor is running and heating up, freeplay starts to develop. But set it "tight" and you won't end up with too much freeplay once it's hot. I never have to go through that readjustment routine when hot and then again when it's cold.

Back