1974 TX650 Tank Question

af226

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently bought a 1974 TX 650. It is in need of a lot of work, but first off I noticed that the tank only has one fuel petcock? Should it not be a dual setup? Can the bike be ran off of one? I will not put the energy into fixing this one if it can't be done properly. I will set myself to finding a dual output to redo.

Thanks,
af226

It's possible the model only came with one. It would have an On, Off and Reserve position on the tap lever
For most intents it was adequate as gas goes from side/side during turns

One outlet means it’s not the original tank. One spigot does provide enough fuel flow.
The single outlet probably means it’s a 3 gallon Special tank. You need a four gallon tank. The correct one has the cap hinge to the front.

image.jpg

The correct tank for a TX650A has this cap. The petcocks also have closer bolt spacing than the ones found on later models.

View attachment 208745

The correct tank for a TX650A has this cap. The petcocks also have closer bolt spacing than the ones found on later models.
If you don’t care about what’s original, any XS650 tank starting from 1974 directly fits your bike. Standard tanks are 4 gal, Special tanks are 3 gal. All standard tanks have two outlets. Special tanks have dual outlets in ‘78 & ‘79 only.

Back