Sold / Found / Inactive - 1975 and 1978 standard lot for Sale in NC

BowlingSS asked " That is a great price. Is it still $3K?"

Yes sir, still $3000 for the lot. I'm not fishing for more money. There are two fellows interested, one will not be back in the country until the 9th......he's first so I'm waiting on him to come back. Works out well for me because I need the time to round this stuff up.

Take care....stay safe, Gordon in NC

Last edited:
Marty wrote "Gordon,
What about those big blue Igloo saddlebags? Are they not part of the deal?"

MARTY!!!!!!! You have to ask???............not no.....but.....:laugh2:HELL NO.
I've had those on three different bikes.........promised the 75B if it got me home safe and sound that weekend I'd never make it carry those things again.....kept my promise. Nope, they're here in my shop.....not sure how much money I'd have to pack in them to make someone take them.......then ACTUALLY USE THEM!!!

I hope you and yours are safe and sound......take care my friend, Gordon

Last edited:
I need a little help.....I know this is the place to find it. Anybody recognize that rectifier unit??? I had 4 different bikes in the shop at one time....this was purchased for one of them and instead of ending up in a specific box.....ended up on the oil filter shelf? Probably put there by the same little fellow that hides my 10mm socket.

Found a couple of extra 75B covers. The extra set of Yamaha bags together with mounts.

Attachments

• IMG_7801.jpg
    IMG_7801.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_7799.jpg
    IMG_7799.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_7798.jpg
    IMG_7798.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words Gary........your checks in the mail:)

Foster puppies have left the garage so I can start gathering things up and putting it in one place.

But.......I’m “might” need a bigger rig to haul it all. 1-XS650 = around 460lbs + X 5 :yikes:......my little rig a Toyota Matrix with a 5x8 trailer is going to be over loaded. I’m known for traveling like the Beverly Hillbillies...:bike:...this might be one of those times. Good thing is, the buyer’s in Northern Florida......I’m in North Carolina so it’s down hill all the way. And......hopefully the trip back will be unloaded.

I don’t mind delivering at all.......pass by my absolute favorite seafood place TWICE.......how sweet is that?
It’s a little place in Darien Ga. It’s the kind of place you’d never stop at by the looks of it.....but they have a shrimp fleet in Darien and there’s a good chance the shrimp your eating spent the night before in the Gulf. If you know about FRESH seafood....that’s important. Their “regular” shrimp basket has 30-35 shrimp in it and no I’m not talking about popcorn shrimp ( that’s bait) If you’re really hungry show up for the all you can eat buffet.....same shrimp....all you can eat. Sorry for getting off track. I live in the foothills of NC......there is no fresh seafood here. I was born and raised in Tallahassee Florida, 10 miles from the Gulf.......I was spoiled at a young age. When I walk into a restaurant and see on the menu they’re offering 12 fried shrimp on a platter and proud of it......well.

“Come a listen to my story about a man named Jeb......”

Gordon in NC

Last edited:
XS650Guy........I gave that to my “little” brother so he’d stop borrowing my other bikes!!!!:bike:
I love the boy but he and I don’t see eye to eye on maintenance and upkeep. The Kwai is still doing fine. I liked that bike a lot. I LOVED the XS650s it just too hard for me to keep up with them and the BSAs. I have had and will always have a soft spot in my heart for them.

Just reserved a rented 3/4 ton pick up to haul my trailer with.......the poor Matrix deserved better. It did haul ALL this stuff here to NC but not all at one time. Hoping the buyer will understand the change of plans and the little extra cost for delivery to his front door.

Gordon

Niels, I keep forgetting you might be out of the country but you’re NOT out of touch.

There will still be no money change hands until you see what you’re getting. That’s just the way I roll and at my age I’m to old to change now. Yes I’ve been burned a couple of times but I still go by my gut feelings on stuff like this.

I thought I could haul all of it with my regular bike hauling rig ( it hauled it all here but not all at one time) but when I started adding up all the weight. I’m going to be over a ton. (2500+) The Matrix is rated for 1500 towing with another 800-1000 in the vehicle. It’s not going to be that bad of drive, 99.9% on the interstate. Those numbers are really close to the max and I really don’t want to find out I made a mistake somewhere in middle Georgia. At this point I’d rather be safe. 3/4 ton pickup with my 5x8 should work out fine. Three bikes on the trailer and the rest in the back of the truck. Except for that nice 75 tank, that’ll ride in the cab with me.

Still shooting for meeting you in the morning on the 14th. Picking up rental, loading and driving down most of the way on the 13th.

I’ll post some more photos as the stuff makes it to the garage.
Gordon

Last edited:
Better photo of the running (black) 78E. I'm keeping that small windscreen that was on the bike in another photo. I went in and installed the starter gear kit and while I was doing it....added chrome outer engine covers. New chain and both sprockets, rebuild front end, rebuilt carbs, new front brakes (complete), new battery, new grips,new tires/tubes (bead balanced), stock seat added, new manual petcocks, new plugs, points....all filters replaced. One of the gauges (tach?) works but has a bad spot (heat?) on the face. Have a good set of replacement gauges.

My bike hauling rig......when hauling one bike, it has worked well. Hitch up the 5' x 8' for the sidecar rig....still does okay. But try to haul 5 XS650s..........hmmmmmmmm:rolleyes: what was I thinking?

Gordon in NC

Attachments

• IMG_4150.JPG
    IMG_4150.JPG
    487.9 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_3563 (1).JPG
    IMG_3563 (1).JPG
    317.3 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Gordon,

The 78E looks really nice!! I had an uncle who had an XS650 and I believe it was a '78 and I remember it looking like yours. That was many years ago and unfortunately, he passed away, so I cannot ask him. That bike was the first 650 I had ever ridden when I was around 16 years old and was so much bigger and way more powerful than my Honda CB125!!

I know this has been kinda pieced together.......sorry for that. Ever NEED to do something but not really WANT to?
To clear up some confusion.......we are talking about 5 different bikes here.
1. 1975B Titled in my name and running
2. 1978E Titled in my name and running (dressed in Black)
3. 1978E Title but not in my name 98% complete roller ( Green, purchased off this site)
4. 1978E Parts bike, dissembled probably 80% complete? Title but not in my name.
5. 1975B Parts bike, dissembled probably 80% complete. No title

As much as I hated to use the old photo of the 75......I hated the idea of moving all the stuff to get a photo of it as it sits today in the same spot. My wife foster's dogs for a hobby.......we have a litter of 7 that spend nights in the garage. The poor bikes are all covered up until Monday when the puppies leave. That oil drip is gone. NOTE TO SELF.......buy your younger brother a motorcycle so he'll quit borrowing yours......or get a younger brother who if you insist he change the oil.....does....then says 'You didn't tell me it needed a new drain plug washer too"

The parts bikes are just that.....in parts.....some photos of that next.

Gordon in NC
I do love the looks of that 75 with the matching bags !!

payaso13 asked "Do you have a pair of 78 standard side covers available?"

No sir I don't, but the buyer might. There is an extra set of Green side covers in the lot. I might be wrong but except for the color and decals I think a lot of standard models used the same cover. ( that's more of a question than a statement)

Hopefully delivery will happen this coming weekend......but my guess is he's going to need some time to figure out what he wants to keep.

Gordon

To be honest there are lots good used side covers out there. Just keep your eyes open.

I'm slowly getting this stuff all in one place....taking up lot of space.
Here's a shot of the hard bags. One set is like the one's on the 75 but without the chrome guards, needs a repaint and decals. The other two are Shoei and are in pretty good shape and have keys. That pile of stuff is where I unloaded the bags on the 75 today....it goes with me just wanted to give you an idea what the Yamaha bags would hold. Only thing I left in the bags is a new spare clutch cable ( Thank you to Marty and the Dogwood)

One of these seats goes with the Green 78 roller....the others are spares. Solid but need a recover.

More later. Gordon

Attachments

• IMG_7832.jpg
    IMG_7832.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_7833.jpg
    IMG_7833.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_7835.jpg
    IMG_7835.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 147
I finally got this stuff all in one place....except for 5- gas tanks, two stock frames and the Black 78. I'm still buttoning up the 78, I'm going to miss that one especially. But after 2-3 days of pushing/ loading these things I realize that 500 lbs is a lot heaver now than it was 20 years ago. Also found two more sidecovers. (solid but need a repaint) The 78 parts bike was an odd duck......started it's life out as a 78 Standard but the owner wanted a Heritage Special????? So there are some stuff HS in there.

The buyer have been talking and this gas deal might throw a wrench ( pun intended) in our plans.......fingers crossed in NC.

Gordon Gray

Attachments

• IMG_7847.jpg
    IMG_7847.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_7843.jpg
    IMG_7843.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_7845.jpg
    IMG_7845.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_7846.jpg